• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My OC'ing problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

haqzombie

First of all, I'm glad I found a forum like this. Something that is finally interesting to me, now on to the subject.

I have an Asus a7v133 mobo right now with a AMD Duron 700 Mhz processor in it. I was thinking about OC'ing it, maybe squeeze out a few more mhz, and I found some articls on how to OC the system using the BIOS. Anyway, I went into the bios, changed the multiplier and the cpu speed, rebooted and got a black screen. After resetting the bios, now I'm back to square one. I found this program called CPUZ, and it can dump all relevant info into a txt doc. Here's what I got that's interesting/possibly helpful:

CPUID Output
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Duron
Code name Spitfire
Specification AMD Duron(tm) Processor
Family/Model/Stepping 631
Extended Family/Model 7/3
Package Socket A
Technology 0.18µ
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!
Clock Speed 706.3 MHz
Clock multiplier x7.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 100.9 MHz
Bus Speed 201.8 MHz
Stock frequency 700 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 64 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 706.3 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic no
L2 Bus Width 64 bits
====================================
Chipset

Northbridge VIA KT133A rev. 3
Southbridge VIA VT82C686 rev. 40
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 2.0
AGP Transfert Rate 4x
AGP SBA supported, enabled
AGP Aperture 64 MBytes
Memory Type SDRAM
Memory Size 512 MBytes
Memory Frequency 100.9 MHz (1:1)
DRAM Interleave 4-way
CAS# 2.0
RAS# to CAS# 2
RAS# Precharge 2
Cycle Time (tRAS) 6
==============================
DMI Processor
-------------
CPU #1
manufacturer AuthenticAMD
model AMD Duron(TM) Processor
clock speed 700.0MHz
FSB speed 100.0MHz
multiplier 7.0x

DMI Memory Controller
---------------------
Memory Controller #1
correction 64-bit ECC
Max module size 1024MBytes

DMI Memory Module
-----------------
Memory Module #1
designation DIMM 1
size 256MBytes (double bank)
Memory Module #2
designation DIMM 2
size 128MBytes (single bank)
Memory Module #3
designation DIMM 3
========================================

Basically I'm wondering if this processor can even be OC'd, although I believe it should be. What's my next step? Sorry I'm a complete OC'n noob.

THat processor has the multiplier locked meaning you will have to OC through the FSB. Look for options for your ram timings and loosen those a little if need be. Look for something to change the FSB and raise that a little at a time. After each little incriment use something like prime 95 to torture test it for a few hours. When it doesnt pass after a couple hours lower the FSB a little and then try it for a longer time. WHen you get it to torture test for 24 hours straight then it's stable and your good to go.

As for loosening your ram timing basically you want to look for your cas. The higher the number the more you can raise your FSB basically. The lower the harder it will be. The goal is though to keep that number low while keeping your FSB high. Dont go over a CAS 3 and try not to go over a CAS 2.5. Generally Im extremely finicky and will not go over a CAS 2. I also only torture test mine ussually for 10 hours straight as I never use my computer for more then 8 hours at a time.

This should at least help to get your feet wet. You'll learn a lot more as you go. After you try dabbing with this for a few weeks you should look up on how to unlock that processor. It's not hard, just not for the timid either.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums, and welcome to the game!

I used to have that board. It was a great OC'er in its day. How did you try to OC it? Just do things in little steps. Raise your FSB a few notches at a time. That will at least get you started. If you lucky, damn lucky, you might get 850mhz out of that chip. But if it is multi locked, you aint gettin' squat. I see you already strarted self diagnosing, that is great. CPUZ is a program that about all of us use. You are on your way. :thup:

oh yeah and

:welcome: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS :welcome:
kick your shoes of and stay a while.

Hi guys!

I was just wondering . . . aren't all the AMDs upward locked (except for the FX series). Any unlocked AMD is unlocked downward which simply allows you to get more out of your RAM if possible (since you can use a lower multiplier and higher FSB/HTT). . .

So I would think for his purposes, seeking to unlock the chip would not be useful. Even if it could be unlocked upwards, I think he would hit his CPU max well before his motherboard FSB max anyways, right? And as for being unlocked downwards, it seems he's already reaching the max with his RAM so that he even has to loosen timings. Am I right in all this?

Anyway, just some friendly questions. . .

Oh yeah, and one more thing . . . does any motherboard support CAS going higher than 3?

haqzombie said:
First of all, I'm glad I found a forum like this. Something that is finally interesting to me, now on to the subject.

I have an Asus a7v133 mobo right now with a AMD Duron 700 Mhz processor in it. I was thinking about OC'ing it, maybe squeeze out a few more mhz, and I found some articls on how to OC the system using the BIOS. Anyway, I went into the bios, changed the multiplier and the cpu speed, rebooted and got a black screen. After resetting the bios, now I'm back to square one. I found this program called CPUZ, and it can dump all relevant info into a txt doc. Here's what I got that's interesting/possibly helpful:

CPUID Output

Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Duron
Code name Spitfire
Specification AMD Duron(tm) Processor
Family/Model/Stepping 631
Extended Family/Model 7/3
Package Socket A
Technology 0.18µ
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!
Clock Speed 706.3 MHz
Clock multiplier x7.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 100.9 MHz
Bus Speed 201.8 MHz
Stock frequency 700 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 64 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 706.3 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic no
L2 Bus Width 64 bits
====================================
Chipset

Northbridge VIA KT133A rev. 3
Southbridge VIA VT82C686 rev. 40
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 2.0
AGP Transfert Rate 4x
AGP SBA supported, enabled
AGP Aperture 64 MBytes
Memory Type SDRAM
Memory Size 512 MBytes
Memory Frequency 100.9 MHz (1:1)
DRAM Interleave 4-way
CAS# 2.0
RAS# to CAS# 2
RAS# Precharge 2
Cycle Time (tRAS) 6
==============================
DMI Processor
-------------
CPU #1
manufacturer AuthenticAMD
model AMD Duron(TM) Processor
clock speed 700.0MHz
FSB speed 100.0MHz
multiplier 7.0x

DMI Memory Controller
---------------------
Memory Controller #1
correction 64-bit ECC
Max module size 1024MBytes

DMI Memory Module
-----------------
Memory Module #1
designation DIMM 1
size 256MBytes (double bank)
Memory Module #2
designation DIMM 2
Memory Module #3
designation DIMM 3
========================================

Basically I'm wondering if this processor can even be OC'd, although I believe it should be. What's my next step? Sorry I'm a complete OC'n noob.

If it's a Duron Spitfire, then it's possible to unlock the multiplier by using the pencil trick. Take a pencil across the L1 bridges.

Revivalist said:
Hi guys!

I was just wondering . . . aren't all the AMDs upward locked (except for the FX series). Any unlocked AMD is unlocked downward which simply allows you to get more out of your RAM if possible (since you can use a lower multiplier and higher FSB/HTT). . .

That's not true, except for Athlon 64 processors. With newer desktop Athlon XPs, (including the ones renamed to Sempron) they are totally locked, even downward.

Back