• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing HardDrives Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prw001

I was considering adding a WD Raptor as a Master Drive and and turning one of my old 7200 rpm WD harddrives into a secondary/data drive. Therefore my question is will my old 7200 slow down the Raptor so that they spin at the same speeds, thereby making it a very expensive and wasteful upgrade??? Or will the Raptor still perform faster???

Also does the configuration have any effect. Currently I have 2 drives both working in "Cable Select" mode as opposed to the Master/Slave combo???

Thnx

Well, the Raptor is a SATA for one, so there is no "master/slave" in SATA. The Raptor will spin at 10K whether the IDE drive is in there or not, won't make the least bit of difference.

SavageBasher said:
I don't know where you got the idea that the raptor will slow down... but it won't.

I could be wrong, but i think he might have had the idea it was an IDE and would be on the same cable as his other driver, therefore running at the same speed. At least that's the only thing i could think of :)

Not that it matters, but even if it was IDE and on the same cable as a 7200rpm drive it would not slow down the spindle speed.

J.

My thought was that if you had two different drives with different speeds they would be out of sync, therefore to get them in sync they would need to spin at the same speed meaning the slowest speed would be that one. But thats why i wanted to get a clear answer on.

So... from your responses i got another question. Is it ok to mix the SATA with my IDE??? I cant see this being a problem but just wanted to make sure.

Back