• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe vcore for Celeron D processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paul1

What would be a safe vcore for a Celeron D processor for long term use?
My processor is a Celeron D "325" 2.53GHz Prescott. Would any vcore below 1.65v be safe or is that way above the limit? I currently run it at like 1.375v (I don't remember but I think it's either 1.375v or 1.400v).

1.65 is about the "safe" 24hour zone on a Northwood, I dont know much about prescotts but since they take a lot less power I would think that much would be pretty dangerous?

Have the same proc. Ninja had it before me and it took him 1.55V to get to 4.1, So if you need more I'd say 1.5 be the max, but this is only a guess as this is also my first pressy.

PEACE

All processors are different - just as two identical processors will overclock differently, two identical processors will react differently to overvoltage; the gains which they see per mV overvolt, and where they peak with a MHz gain/mV overvolt comparison will be slightly different.

So, your specific Celeron's '"safe" overvolt limit' is unique. :)

You might find it worthwhile to check out the light blue link in my signature, "How Overvolting Works, The Dangers of Overvolting, and "Safe" Overvolting Technique" - it goes into some depth of detail on specifically how to determine your specific processor's unique overvoltage 'limit', by paying attention to how it reacts to overvoltage through stable overclocking. I hope that helps. :)

Voltage is not the problem. I have my Mobile Athlon XP 2600+ at 2.0 volts but I'm using a 5200 BTU air-conditioner to cool it and my temps are under 20C! It temperatures you have to watch out for. :drool:

Thanks for your replies. I'm just trying NOT to burn it while I try to hit 4Ghz on air. Heh.

If you are worried about killing a CPU, dont overvolt by more than 10%
15% if you have good cooling
20% range can actually hurt more than it can help. Also you need killer cooling for this range and be willing to accept your CPU will probly die young. But are you really going to need that CPU 7 years from now?

Back