• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to check core temp??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you'll need (edit: be able to, smack*) to check the core, if it's an r360 it does, and you need to flash it to be able to read the temps. look for a guide on that.

if it's r350, it doesn't and you'd have to get a probe which is more accurate anyways. than you can very carefully remove the shim. very carefully cut a gap in it, put it back on, lay in the probe, run some as5 from the core to the tip of the probe, and get the most accurate temps possible (the probe should sit as close to the side of teh core as possible).

R360 cored pros with 128mb do, u just have to flash to enable it.

Last edited:
nicspits said:
you'll need to check the core, if it's an r360 it does, and you need to flash it to be able to read the temps. look for a guide on that.

if it's r350, it doesn't and you'd have to get a probe which is more accurate anyways. than you can very carefully remove the shim. very carefully cut a gap in it, put it back on, lay in the probe, run some as5 from the core to the tip of the probe, and get the most accurate temps possible (the probe should sit as close to the side of teh core as possible).

9800Pro 256mb's with R360 Cores have temperature sensors. All others dont.

~t0m

damn, I dont have a temp sensor on mine then, when the warrenty runs out I will cut the shim and place a sensor there. Thats what I did on my dell

The R360 (9800 XT) core has an on-die temperature sensor, the R350 (9800 PRO) core doesn't. Most recently manufactured 9800 PRO video cards use an R360 core - you need to remove your card's heatsink and take a look at the card's physical core in order to find out for sure which core your card uses.

However, just because your card's core has an on-die temperature sensor, does not mean that your card's PCB has the circuitry on it that is needed to utilize that temperature sensor.

The IC that handles the R360 core's on-die temperature sensor is the LM63 IC. If your video card is built on a reference 9800 PRO PCB, you will not have this integrated circuit. If your video card is built on a 9800 XT PCB (as many recently manufactured 128 meg and 256 meg 9800 PRO video cards are), then you will have the LM63 IC, and a useable temperature sensor.

So:

9800 PRO PCB, R350 Core - No on-die temperature sensor
9800 PRO PCB, R360 Core - On-die temperature sensor exists, but cannot be used
9800 XT PCB, R360 Core - On-die temperature sensor exists, and can be used, if one flashes their 9800 PRO video card with an appropriate 9800 XT BIOS.

9800Pro 256mb's with R360 Cores have temperature sensors. All others dont.

~t0m

That is incorrect; both 128 meg and 256 meg R360 9800 PRO cards that are built on a 9800 XT PCB have both the on-die sensor, and the LM63 IC which is needed to use it. Both 128 meg and 256 meg versions often come with XT PCBs, and R360 cores.

The fastest way to tell which PCB your card has, is to look for the LM63 IC. Here's a picture of the LM63 IC, on a 9800 XT PCB:

lm63.1093862098.jpg

Now, the thing that really gets me, is that the on-die sensor on the R360 core is horribly innacurate anyways - I would not rely on it for my video card's safety :). If you want to accurately keep track of your temperatures, you are much better off using an external temperature probe, with a built in alarm, such as this cheap one that newgg sells, HERE. I use one of these, the 3.5" version, and am very happy with it. I have tested it against a mercury thermometer, and it is fairly accurate.

My favourite way of mounting a temperature probe on a video card, is to place it on the rear of the card's PCB, on the flat spot directly behind the core.

Last edited:
Back