• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick guide installing GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musawi

Hey guys I am getting my new GPU (6800) tommorow. I have installed everything in a PC but never a new video card and I lack experience greatly in that field. Can someone please write a step by step guide for me from removing drivers from my ATi card to installing the drivers for my Nvidia card.
Thanks in advance.

go to driverheaven.net download there driver cleaner program, and uninstall everything. Then put your card in, install the the drivers from the disk t hat comes with the card and then upgrade them to the most recent ones

dont install the drivers from the disk, install straight from a download of the latest. obviusly download them before you install the card.

physically it is just like a pci card, just dont forget any additional power connectors.

Edit for Irish: Ok, just cuz this guy doesn't have much experience, u must uninstall and install the drivers before turning off ur computer. Let there be no confusion ;)

Last edited:
1 - turn off computer
2 - remove old drivers
3 - remove old graphics card
4 - install new graphics card
5 - install new drivers
6 - restart comp

Video card is one of the easiest things to install. And make sure you connect the power connector.

and if you forget to uninstall the old drivers, start windows XP with 'f8' held, so you get into the advanced options menu (i think its the same for win2k), and then use VGA mode or Safe Mode

musawi said:
Do the scores in my sig look right?

Have you unlocked the extra pipes and shader? It made a huge difference with my card when I got them unlocked. I have also had pretty good success O.C.ing my card so far. However I can see that stock cooling is just not going to cut it.

I will. I came up from an Old Ati so I am feeling a big performance boost, massive. Now I can actually see the true colours of source. When I am in need I will unlock and overclock, but do the 3dmark scores in my sig look right or not? Remember its totally stock.

musawi said:
Hey guys I am getting my new GPU (6800) tommorow. I have installed everything in a PC but never a new video card and I lack experience greatly in that field. Can someone please write a step by step guide for me from removing drivers from my ATi card to installing the drivers for my Nvidia card.
Thanks in advance.

At any time, you can go to ADD/REMOVE programs and uninstall ATI's drivers and control panel (remember to do both). Once you do this, your computer will boot up with full functionality, except it will be in VGA compatibility mode. It will be 16 colors, 640x480, etc.

I uninstall the old drivers, restart, then after a successful reboot I shut it down. Then simply swap cards, and it will prompt you for the new cards drivers.. Either download them from the web, or use the disk.

Back