• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop northbridge overheating problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman22

my friends gave me thier laptop to try and fix seeing as how their warrenty ran out a month before. The problem was that you press the power button and the lights blink once and nothing happens. i took it apart and everything, didnt find anything burned or anything, so i put some artice silver on the northbridge and cpu, put it back together and it didnt work. So about 3 months later i decide to look at again. i pressed the power button and it started up like nothing ever happened. I gave it back to them and a week later the call me up saying it ran great for the 2 days they left it on, then the turned it off and tried to start it agian, and it was the same problem.

i took it apart agian and when i got to the northbridge heatsink, i noticed that there wasnt any artice silver on it, none. so i clean off the northbridge and sure enough, the heatsink isnt anywhere close to touching the northbridge.

they had the same problem on this laptop durring their warrenty and they sent it in and sony "fixed" it.

so, my question is: How can i get the heatsink to touch the northbridge? I tried bending it a little and it wouldnt fit in the holes that its suppoesed to, so that didnt work. I can apply pressure to the middle of the sink and it does touch, but im not sure if that much pressure will break something.

its a sony vio p3? at 800mhz

Thanks.

Back