• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats that harmful toxic irritant poision chemical used in cpu's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lonew0lf

I remember reading somewhere about a chemical chip manufacturers use inside a chip die, all i can remember is that it was a pink in colour, very fine dust and is very deadly - One particle can kill. I don't even know how true this is, its just somthing I remember from somewhere. If someone could enlighten me to this please.

What is the chemical called and what chips was it used in??

This is what i can remember:
If got onto the skin it causes and irritant which the body's immune system tries to get rid of, but since the particles are so small it fails. The results wern't pretty, and you could bleed to death.
If it was inhaled it was worse because you had the same effects, but in your lungs. Just hope it didn't pass into the blood system and get to your heart.

It is used because it has excellent heat transfer properties, and is the reason why we are told never to open up a chip.

Some sort of Borate? Sodium Borate or ??? Maybe I dunno. I googled these chemicals but didn't get jack to do with this.

Or have I been watching too many X-Files/Star Trek????

Lonew0lf said:
I remember reading somewhere about a chemical chip manufacturers use inside a chip die, all i can remember is that it was a pink in colour, very fine dust and is very deadly - One particle can kill. I don't even know how true this is, its just somthing I remember from somewhere. If someone could enlighten me to this please.

What is the chemical called and what chips was it used in??

This is what i can remember:
If got onto the skin it causes and irritant which the body's immune system tries to get rid of, but since the particles are so small it fails. The results wern't pretty, and you could bleed to death.
If it was inhaled it was worse because you had the same effects, but in your lungs. Just hope it didn't pass into the blood system and get to your heart.

It is used because it has excellent heat transfer properties, and is the reason why we are told never to open up a chip.

Some sort of Borate? Sodium Borate or ??? Maybe I dunno. I googled these chemicals but didn't get jack to do with this.

Or have I been watching too many X-Files/Star Trek????

When were we told never to open up a chip?

I've practically disassembeled a nonworking barton chip.. smashed it to pieces. Same with a few old ones.

Oh well, I guess It's my turn to die.

Excelsior said:
I've practically disassembeled a nonworking barton chip.. smashed it to pieces.
and he's still here!! w00000ttt go EXCEL!!!

as far as the chem, im not sure, it wud be nice to find out tho!

Ive used a hammer to smash aprat several P1, P2 and P3's, and still alive and kicking :)

Since it is a commercial product i dont think it would be allowed to have something as deadly as you described put in it.

Lonew0lf said:
LMAO... sounds like a scare tactic to keep you from destroying a $500 CPU. Such a chemical coumpound does not exist.

I must be going gaga i think. I'm sure it was at college though...

:confused:

They use Hydrogen Fluoride and other nasties during production I am sure. Hydrogen Fluoride attacks your bones and nerves (nasty and very painful) and usually requires amputation of the affected limb or causes death, even from a very small splash. This will not be present in the end product afaik.

I am not familiar with Sodium Borate, I have used Sodium Borohydride (fantastic reducing agent, and less of a hazard than Lithium Aluminium Hydride) but this page:
http://www.sefsc.noaa.gov/HTMLdocs/SodiumBorate.htm

Says lethal dose is 15 to 20 grams and it causes damage to nervous system:
Ingestion:
May cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscular spasms, dullness, lethargy, circulatory depression, central nervous system depression, shock, kidney damage, coma, and death. Estimated lethal dose 15 to 20 grams.

Sjaak said:
20 grams man...thats a full spoon. Are you sure they don't mean milligrams?

I'm just going by whats on the link ;)

Yeah i saw but maybe your ctrl-c was malfunctioning :D

20 grams is insane, i mean, i could die over 20 grams of paper tissues or 20 grams of glass ^^

Sjaak said:
20 grams man...thats a full spoon. Are you sure they don't mean milligrams?

Probably not. Sodium borate must not be that deadly. Ever heard of borax. Borax = sodium borate.

In some procesors they use gallium arsenide. Yeah arsenic. That can't be good for your.

ol' man said:
In some procesors they use gallium arsenide. Yeah arsenic. That can't be good for your.

If it's the classic arsenic, okay, then it's pretty deadly. But if it's in a bond with the gallim atom it may not be so deadly at all. It has to be different in order to just be able to bind with gallium.

Sjaak said:
Me neither. Still gotta see the first guy swallowing one :p

lol..if someone wants to end their life right now, he or she will serve as a sample.

Back