• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What watercooling to get for 600.00?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XPC64

Registered
I have $600.00 to spend on watercooling for my computer.

Here is what I need:
1. Case
2. CPU block
3. GPU block
4. And whatever else I need to watercool.

I have an AMD 64 3200+ CPU (Winchester) and a PowerColor X800XL.

I am really looking for stuff to cool everything in my case. Maybe the RAM even (If that's possible).

Thank you.

You should more than cover everything and still come out with change, a good place to start is Here they will have everything you need, make sure to get good tubing as well and I would recommend a fairly big case to house it all, as you will quickly find out although it may look like plenty of room empty it fills up quick when adding watercooling items, I have a full rower and it still pretty tight.

-Milkman

Milkman said:
I would recommend a fairly big case to house it all, as you will quickly find out although it may look like plenty of room empty it fills up quick when adding watercooling items,

-Milkman
Indeed.
When looking for a suitable case there are two things to consider.
Will the components physically fit (particularly the radiator) and (most difficult to plan for) is there sufficient space for the tubing runs.

The latter becomes more critical as your tube diameter increases...1/2" i.d. thickwall Tygon (a popular choice) requires a pretty large bend radius and you can't cramp it without torquing on the waterblocks (not a good thing) or kinking the hose ( an even worse thing).

Among current cases that I've had, the CM Stacker was the easiest to set up (even with dual Opterons), and many people here are fond of the Lian-li V-series cases, too.

I'm currently working on a Silverstone TJ-06 and it's going well (after some fairly major modifications).
No matter what setup you end up with, plan on redoing the installation a few times before you get it right.

I agree I have redone mine 3-4 times and still am not completly happy with things, take your time and mount things where you would like them and see if clearance is good all around( No tight bends etc..) maybe try the pump/radiator in a few locations and see what works, I also recommend a T-line for filling rather than a reservoir, they bleed faster and take up less room.

Milkman said:
I also recommend a T-line for filling rather than a reservoir, they bleed faster and take up less room.
Certainly they take less space, but do T-lines really bleed faster?
I was under the impression that the reverse was true.

clocker2 said:

You are right in your impression. I have used both and systems I put together with a res took about a day to fully bleed, while with a T-line usually took 2 to 3 days to get all the air out. I personally am using a T-line right now as it takes up much less space than a res.

Also VoyeurMods is probably the best place to get all the stuff you need for WCing. If your lazy they even sell cases that already come modded for WCing.

What about the Koolance cases that already have all he stuff in them, or should I get another one with the stuff in them?

clocker2 said:

Its a moot point. Both will bleed equally fast, for all pratical purposes, if done correctly. However, most res's are crappy and allow air to easily re-enter the flow. Tlines are really hard to do a bad job with.

Wow, screw watercooling, for that price go phase change or TEC cooling :D

Seriously though, get a BIG case. Lian-Li PC-7B and the Dragon FULL tower (made by cheiftec, chenming, antec, and a host of others) are two very popular big cases.

After that, get yourself a big ase 3x120 radiator (prolly a BIX-III with that budget), a Swiftech MCP-650 pump, and either a DangerDen TDX, Swiftech MCW 6002-64, or if you can find one a Little River G4 or Cascade for your CPU. The Swiftech and Little River blocks are HARD to come by and you'll prolly have to get one used but DangerDen usually has the TDX in stock. So keep in mind your build timeframe when selecting parts. For a video card I'd reccomend a DD Maze4 or a Swiftech MCW-50. Get some Tygon tubing from McMaster Carr, and enjoy the ride. Seriously though, give the phase or TEC cooling consideration with that big of a budget ;)

damn wish i had $600 for water cooling...that could buy u 2-3 REALLY nice WC loops there dude...or u can just save up a few hundred more for Phase-Change heh :cool:

with that much $$ you might want to look into TEC's...i would...but not if you dont have much experience with this kinda thing

i currently working on my first water cooling system. So far i have gotten everything i needed for the setup (thanks to all the memober in this forum who helped me). Im am using Lian Li PC-75B. I just started working on it today. I am painting the inside Metalic Black and the out side Coler 2 Coler Navyish blue or dark hunter greenish (changes colar in differently angle view) I would recommand you a lian li case and damn these things are huge.

Case: Lian-Li PC-75/PC-75B

CPU block: Danger Den TDX w/ brass A64 top @ extra nozzles

GPU block: Danger Den Maze4 w/ Acetal top

Radiator: Weapon Dual Heatercore w/ shrouds or Black Ice Extreme II (or even BIXIII, cause it'll fit in the top of the PC-75 with ease)

Pump: AquaExtreme50z or MCP-655/D4

Res/T-Line: "T" fitting + fillport/t-line cap

Tubing: Clearflex60 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD (1/8" wall)

Hose Clamps: Stainless steel worm drive hose clamps (thin band, 7/8" max. dia)

Fluids: Distilled water w/ 10% antifreeze & water dye of choice (if wanted)

just my .02 :thup:

Back