• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power consumption: socket 939 vs. socket A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuzzy

how do they stack up against each other? is there a need to get a new power supply or will the fortron 350w i have suffice for the rig in my sig?

she does just fine with an nf7-s and mobile 2500+.

if you get a 90nm athlon 64, it will most certainly draw less power than a socket a system. overclocked axp's break 100 watts, overclocked winchesters/venices/san diegos barely scratch 60 watts when pushed to 2.7ghz and over.

so long as your fortron has the right power connectors for the new motherboard it won't break a sweat.

yeha said:
if you get a 90nm athlon 64, it will most certainly draw less power than a socket a system. overclocked axp's break 100 watts, overclocked winchesters/venices/san diegos barely scratch 60 watts when pushed to 2.7ghz and over.

so long as your fortron has the right power connectors for the new motherboard it won't break a sweat.

well yeha then. :bday:

can anyone else confirm this? why do so many people dish out $200 for a psu if this is the case?

beats me, here's some actual watt-meter tests which show how much power a few different systems use - a pretty well-stocked a64 3800+ system only used 147 watts dc power at full load. very, very few people who run amd systems break 200 watts.

with intel it's another story - prescott chips can draw 130 watts alone at stock speeds, overclocking puts that through the roof.

well i paid $40cdn for this fortron and it is everything you could want. very silent as well. :D

Can anyone else confirm this?
I'm in the process of choosing parts for a major A64 upgrade and would like to save the money from the power supply for some better ram.

I wouldnt say it draws less power. Sure on paper it does, but the way it draws power makes it killer on a PSU. I had to get a new one for my A64 machine

Hmmm...I've got a Fortron 350w supply right now, is there any way that it would power an A64rig without overclocking(yet?) ;)

A64 3000+ (Venice)
Asus A8V Deluxe (yes Sen...I've seen your boycott thread ;) )
1 gig OCZ value ram...OCZ4001024WV3DC-K
BFG 6800oc 128mb
DVD burner
1 Maxtor 7200rpm hdd
1 Seagate 7200rpm hdd

well correct if im wrong.. but id like to expand on what sen said
the 462 socket drew a lot more from the 3.3V and 5V line
while the newer amd sockets (and processors) draw from the 12V line
as long as your PSU has a healthy 12V rating, you should be fine :)

Videocards draw alot of power, also put into account how many HD/DVD/CD drives you are going to have, like Sen said make sure your 12V is about 25A.

Back