• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magnetic Shielding for an in car computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FastFSB

I’ve been putting together a car based computer for a while and I think I have it all figured out, except for the magnetic shielding. I have a 2000 Eclipse (small!) and the computer that I’m going to use is a 2.4 P4 laptop. I have two 10” subs in the trunk, and I know that they emit a LOT of EMI. Regardless of where I put the laptop, it will be within 3 feet of the subs, and this just doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. I searched google and this site for things like faraday cages but I can’t come up with any solid answers on how to shield the laptop. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Best bet is a Faraday Cage. Build one of a fine Modders Mesh, copper would be preferred, or just use my favorite-Home Depots Galvanized Expanded Metal mesh (whotta mouthful) It is reasonably strong. Just build a mesh box the computer will fit easily in and make sure all parts of the mesh are grounded to each other as well as to the car body. Probably should use shielded cables that are connected to the computer as well, Power Lines included. That should be enough to shield your equipment, but that depends on the amount of EMI and how well the cage is built.

Back