• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running two Prime tests

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

I'm trying to test my 630 and I can't seem to get Prime to run in two instances. HT is enabled in the BIOS and I've tried to start another one but it just keeps on chugging away with one. I open task manager and it only shows 50% usage, how do I get that sencond one going?

or if your short on space, or want to have one program file, like i do. then make two shortcuts and at the end of one shortcut put "-a0" (without the quotes) and "-a1" for the second shortcut. repeat this if you have more than one processor. ie: 4 processors, -a0 -a1, -a2, -a3. cheers.

If you run two versions of prime and do the cpu test (top option), it'll put you up to 100% load.

Running P95 just once on an HT system doesn't really test it?

you HAVE TO run 2 instances of prime95 to get a full 100% CPU load w/ dual core/HT... or 4 instances with the Intel 840 EE (dual cores + HT (4 logical cpu's))

g0dM@n said:
I never really understood how that works...

If you run just one instance, the HT will not be stressed since it only kicks in when two threads run simultaneously and prime is coded singlethreaded.

Run two instances, and the second one will run using the HT. Won't run as fast, so it's not quite 50/50 load regarding performance (though task manager will show 50/50) but everything gets stressed then.

When dual-priming, DONT USE BLEND TEST. It will screw up and error out even when you're perfectly stabile.

That sounds like BS to me, i mean, if a CPU can't handle load (ie. all it's components being stressed) then what good is it??

Well, I got a 2.8E and Abit MaxII Advance in my room waiting to be put together as my 2nd rig. I'm just wondering how to OC an INTEL as I have NEVER done it before, and from the sound of it I'm still confused about how to prime test it.

Someone said don't BLEND test, so I should only do Small FFT to test CPU? What about the ram? Do I do one prime95 large FFT to test ram?

Perhaps a tutorial or some link would be helpful. I feel like I'd have to ask a lot to know exactly what to do. I've OCed SEVERAL different AMD CPUs, but NEVER INTEL, and I really want to make my first INTEL OC experience a good one. :)

g0dM@n said:
hat about the ram? Do I do one prime95 large FFT to test ram?

Perhaps a tutorial or some link would be helpful. I feel like I'd have to ask a lot to know exactly what to do. I've OCed SEVERAL different AMD CPUs, but NEVER INTEL, and I really want to make my first INTEL OC experience a good one. :)

Use the infamous [search] button and you can dig up at least 3 threads where i and others have responded to all those questions before.

g0dM@n said:
Well, I got a 2.8E and Abit MaxII Advance in my room waiting to be put together as my 2nd rig. I'm just wondering how to OC an INTEL as I have NEVER done it before, and from the sound of it I'm still confused about how to prime test it.

Someone said don't BLEND test, so I should only do Small FFT to test CPU? What about the ram? Do I do one prime95 large FFT to test ram?

I was thinking it would be a big change as well but it is actually much easier than AMD.

As to two Primes I am just running one using big and one using small and it seems to be running fine. Here is how you set it up.

Just find your Prime95 folder on your hard drive and copy it, the whole thing, then paste it anywhere. Then just start one using the Prime95.exe in that folder. Go to the advanced menu on the Prime95 window and click on Affinity, change the "Specific CPU to run on" to 1. Make sure that the checkbox for "Let program run on any CPU" is unchecked.

Then go to the second Prime95 folder (the one you copy/pasted) and click on the Prime95.exe. Go to the advanced menu and change the "Specific CPU to run on" to 0. Make sure the checkbox is unchecked here as well. Then just start stress testing like normal in both windows. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back