Forum Jump

Interesting...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 10-02-01, 04:47 PM Thread Starter   #1
Jon
Just Another Retired Moderator

10 Year Badge

Interesting...

I just got another 256MB stick of Crucial memory that ended up being CL3 instead of CAS2. This was my mistake and I ordered another stick today and made sure it was CAS2. The CL3 stick can just go in my dual D6VAA board since it has 256MB CL3 memory already.

What I found interesting is the benchmark. My old memory score on the VP6 with 256MB CL2 Crucial was 403/503. With 512MB of Crucial at CL3 it did 400/498. This is on 150MHz FSB.

Do any of you find it odd that I practically lost no bandwidth at all or does the extra 256MB make that much of a performance difference?

Old 10-02-01, 06:42 PM   #2
proze

maybe your northbridge and memory controller is the limiting factor, and not the memory timing...?

Duron 600@1102, Voltage-Modded A7V, 256MB at 142mhz CAS2, MTS Glaciator II, 64MB Gainward GF2 Pro, Maestro II PCI, CNET 10/100 NIC.

PLUS more experience than your grandmother.
Bow to me, for I AM ROOT!
proze is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-02-01, 07:30 PM Thread Starter   #3
Jon

10 Year Badge

Good a guess as any.

I had first assumed it had to be due to the chiopset since it was as close to identical scores as you can get.

Kind've makes me mad that I went and bought that other CL2 Crucial module now that I know it won't make any difference. I needed extra memory anyways.

Old 10-04-01, 04:53 PM Thread Starter   #4
Jon

10 Year Badge

Well, I got my new 256MB module of Crucial CAS2 in and my benchmark jumped from what I listed previously to 426/529.

I guess the extra memory did help a bit in scores since no other changes from 256MB CAS2 were made.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Memory
Memory