• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neo2 Plat usb 2.0 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E Bega

I just bought my new computer: Neo2 Platinum mobo, 1 gig Corsair XMS ddr400, AMD 64 Venice core. I also have a Thermaltake 480w PS, XFX GeForce 6600 GT AGP, all in a Coolermaster Centurion 5 case. The board came with bios 1.5 and everything was working fine. I flashed to 1.8 and now the front ports don't seem to be supporting hi-speed usb 2.0. I'm testing them with a flash drive (pen drive). Everytime I plug it into the front port, it says that the device would "perform faster if plugged into a hi-speed usb 2.0 port". I click that balloon, and the port the drive is plugged into is in a hub that is reported as supporting hi-speed. I don't get this message when I plug the flash drive into a rear usb port. I have XP sp2, and I made sure that the usb 1.1+2.0 is enabled in bios. I have no idea what could be causing this. Anyone run into the same problem? I'm stumped :shrug: Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Eddie

:welcome: to the Forum!
Have you installed the nf3 drivers? There are the 5.03's which should have come with the board or the 5.10's at the nvidia download site. Good luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome!! I appreciate the help, I already had 5.03 and downloaded 5.10 from Nvidia, this doesn't seem to have cleared up the usb issue. Still trying to figure it out. Thanks again for the help. Keep the suggestions coming ;)

I'm still very new to building computers, so please bare with my noobish questions. I downloaded CPU-Z and under the motherboard tab, my chipset says nForce 3 250. Is this correct? Shoudn't it say nForce 3 ultra?? Or is this the same thing?

E Bega said:
I'm still very new to building computers, so please bare with my noobish questions. I downloaded CPU-Z and under the motherboard tab, my chipset says nForce 3 250. Is this correct? Shoudn't it say nForce 3 ultra?? Or is this the same thing?
No it's not the same thing, but it is probably just an issue with cpu-z so I wouldn't worry about it.
As for the USB problem I'd suggest you either reflash the 1.8 bios or go to the 1.6 or 1.5. I am using the 1.8 and no have any problems with ports but every system is different.

I'm actually glad you said that ("every system is different"). It got me thinking...the only high speed 2.0 device I have is the cheap/generic flash drive (pen drive) that I have. I get the same message at school when I use those usb ports. I got the same message on my old KT400 MSI board. But I don't get it in my toshiba laptop. I believe Toshiba uses their own drivers for the usb ports. MSI uses microsoft drivers. Perhaps my generic drive has an issue with Microsoft's drivers, but seems to be compatible with the Toshiba drivers. Does this sound legit? Again, still a noob, but just something that crossed my mind. The flash drive is only 128 mb so I need to upgrade that anyways. Maybe I'll just get a "better" drive and see if the issue is not the board, but a hardware compatibility issue.

edit: forgot to mention, the drive is high speed certified, my old board supported usb 2.0, my laptop does as well.

Hey, we are allnoobs, even if we have been doing this for years. Coming across a new problem is a regular experience and I'm not sure it will ever end. The bottom line as I see it is those USB ports should work. Whether it's a BIOS issue or drivers issue Motherboard issue doesn't matter, they should work. If you tinker enough and try enough things you are bound to get them to work. The odds are it is some stupid little thing that we have overlooked. Keep trying, don't give up! Good luck.

Okay....I'm back again!!! Sorry, you guys are probably sick of me by now :p . But I think I may have figured out the source of the problems. After playing with devices and headers, I found that I have no problem using a high speed device when my scanner and 7-1 card reader are disconnected. The scanner (Epson Perfection 2480 Photo) is plugged into a back port. The card reader is a 2.0 device, and is internal so it is plugged into a pin header set on the mobo. Both of these devices are always on, and don't allow any ports to be used as "high speed" when both or either one is connected. I've tried using other ports/headers with the same results. Do I have an incorrect bios setting? Is there something that I can do to turn these devices off when not in use, perhaps this will allow proper use while still being connected. When I power down completely, the green power light from the card reader stays on, as does the scanner. I'm sure I'm just missing something, but have no clue what. :shrug: Again, any help is greatly apprecitiated. Thanks again.

Eddie

I have an Epson all in ome with a card reader built into it and I don't have ahy problems. Obviously there is something different in your system. The printer programs always need to be running. I'm not clear on what an internal card reader is. Do you mean one the you vuilt into a optical drive slot in the front of your case? It still wouldn't make sense that this should hog all the ports. Besides you said this was working before you updated the bios. Did you ever try going back to the 1.5 bios?

Back