• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help breaking 12000 w/ my 6800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slimmy

Ok I have managed to hit 11750 in 3dmark2k3. That is w/ a bios flash w/ 1.3v gpu and 425/880 also w/ 16x1, 6vp. I raised it to 435/890 and it froze. It scared me so i flashed it back down to 400/800.

Any suggestions?

Give the GPU 1.4v. That is what i did with my old 6800nu and got 12.8k on 03'. You're better off getting some better cooling too. I had a NV5 Silencer and got 450/920 with mine.

stang8118 said:
Give the GPU 1.4v. That is what i did with my old 6800nu and got 12.8k on 03'. You're better off getting some better cooling too. I had a NV5 Silencer and got 450/920 with mine.

Tottally agree you are reaching the limit on you're card.Not all cards are created the same.But definetly the NV5.

MassRaptor

When it freezes like that is that the gpu or the mem maxed out? Do you think the silencer would help that much. I checked it and i was only at 57c right after the 3dmark2k3 test.

Also I really don't want to kill this card just yet. Maybe i will take the plate off the heatsink and strap a fan right on top of it. Is it safe to run it at 1.4v?

Also when i flash it will only take the 3d setting and not the 2d so i am running the 3d setting while on desktop.

Yep the silencer would help out with getting higher. However taking off the HS and just using a fan won't help out. Also ramsinks and an extra fan blowing on the card helps.

Finally if your card maxing out and its still fairly cool then it might be time to think about voltmods.

This is a bfg 6800 OC w/ the heatsink covers the gpu and the ram. I read awhile back somewhere that if i took the plate off the top of the heatsink and ran a fan on it would help. I will try when I get home.

Is there any performance tweak to help me? Maybe driver?

Man all I want is to break that 12k mark. :cry:

Slimmy said:
This is a bfg 6800 OC w/ the heatsink covers the gpu and the ram. I read awhile back somewhere that if i took the plate off the top of the heatsink and ran a fan on it would help. I will try when I get home.

Is there any performance tweak to help me? Maybe driver?

Man all I want is to break that 12k mark. :cry:

Don't think your going to get much more out of that with stock cooling and 1.3v. Possibly try one of the tweaked forceware drivers on guru3d? IMO i would get either the zalmans HSF or the NV5. The 1.4v won't really hurt the gpu as long as it stays cool. Mine idled at 44c with the NV5 on it.

Check out the 3dmark tweaking guide sticky. I'm not sure whether or not The ACPI multiproccessor tweak works or not but hey everthing in there is worth a try. Also is there any chance you could increase your CPU overclock any?

Well my cpu is stable at 11x214. I can run faster, but I not sure if it will make it to the end of the test. My card idles at 44c right now at 400/800. Nice cold basement helps. I will look into the tweaked drivers.

Don't really have the money to buy a new heatsink right now. So the silencer is out.

Will the agp frequency help any?

It might Nvidia cards ussually will work at higher AGP frequenies than ATI cards. It might also allow your FSB to go higher to.

Also most tweaked drivers deal with image quality not performance so I wouldn't try them.

Back