• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Remote Desktop application?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hey guys, im using XP Home on my laptop and i have a lot of stuff on it that i would like to access directly like a remote desktop.
Now at school, they do not allow installation of any applications because they all access the registry.

Now, is there a remote desktop program that could be run through a java window in IE/Firefox ?

I tried VNC, but it was really complicated and i got lost.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, ps2cho.

VNC will do it. just run the server on your home rig then forward the right ports in your router ( 5900 and/or 5800 are the default ones) depending on whether you want to connect thru the cient or browser. I believe 5800 is browser. you can change this port in the server config.

Ultra VNC works great through the browser, easy to configure, infact it works "out of the box" so to speak, but I always end up changing everything.

edit: i forgot you said XP home, so removed info about winRD through web.

Last edited:
I just tried realvnc but i couldnt get it to work. Is there anything i need to configure?

I tried typing http://myip.com:5900 and 5800, neither were found.

Ok i just forwarded the ports and it comes up with the screen now but when i hit connect it says connection refused.

if i do LAN IP:5800 it connects successfully.

ps2cho said:
Ok i just forwarded the ports and it comes up with the screen now but when i hit connect it says connection refused.

if i do LAN IP:5800 it connects successfully.

if by this you mean through your schools pc's i am betting it's because all net traffic of theirs probably must go through port 8080, or maybe port 80 then again it could be something obscure.

the easiesy way to check your proxy (if available) is to use system info > Internet Explorer > Connectivity

Thats how i setup my portable firefox to use at school, so for VNC you may need to figure out how to configure it to forward the port you need to use to get to the net on their machines so that your router will forward that port to either 5800 or 5900 at your pc's ip, but i don't know if its possible, you may also be able to change the port it uses.

Just a heads up,
With your schools acceptable use policy their is a fair chance that VNCing your pc from school would be considered trying to circumvent their blocking system (if they use one) because you would then be able to use the VNC'd machine to surf any site on the net you wanted to.

ps2cho said:
No i was trying it over my LAN and it didnt work..
you may need to try it from outside the lan then there's a possibility it's got some sort of problem connecting that way.

try using your inner IP from inside the LAN and turn off the windows firewall if you have a router. Otherwise you are going to have to set the windows firewall to let it in.

Edit: looking back over it you said 5800 works? SO what exactly is the problem?

I think you mean that you can access it inside your LAN using the internal IP but not the WAN ip? This is normal and is just a routing issue, I have the same problem with the webserver I run on my network. If you try accessing it using your WAN ip from outside your LAN it should work as long as you have the correct ports forwarded.

I get this error when i type the WANIP:5800:

java.net.ConnetionException: Connection refused: connect

i am able to connect using my WAN IP from inside my lan as long as i use the viewer, but i know you cannot install at school, but as an ocer you must atleast be able to tote a floppy so check out the standalone viewer (no install) real vnc used to have one.... http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html then see if you can connect the regular way and just take the .exe to school.

ps2cho said:
I get this error when i type the WANIP:5800:

java.net.ConnetionException: Connection refused: connect

Is that from inside or outside your LAN? If its from inside the connection will be refused because your router only forwards ports from WAN -> LAN and because of the way the DNS works. When you request something from your WAN IP, your router recognises the WAN IP as its own local IP and so never forwards the port. By trying to connect to your WAN IP from inside you are actually trying to VNC to your router.

ah :) i get it. Ok thanks guys. But what im doing is connecting to my Laptop through internet explorer by java. i dont need to install anything.

I think darknight was just suggesting the possibility of you running the VNC viewer application off a floppy or usb drive. You don't have the install it, its just a standalone executable.

Back