• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

llamabob

Registered
Several questions actually..

Ok about 6 months ago my Dad bought me a AMD Athlon Xp 2400+ with clock speed of 2000mhz. When I recieved it from the seller(think it was tigerdirect.com), the packaging was unopened and stated the speeds, think it said it was quad speed too. Well when I installed it back then and booted up, it stated it was a 1800+. I told my Dad and he shrugged it off, and so did I. Tonight I d/l a program off of cpuid.com and checked my specs and it came up as...

Amd Athlon XP 1800+ ver. B
CodeName: Thoroughbred
Core Speed: 1499.9-1500mhz
Multiplier: x 15
FSB: 100mhz
Bus Speed: 200mhz

I have a KTY-400-AND mother board, with FSB listed as 200/266/333MHZ. The manual says, if you want the MB to run at 333, use 333 RAM, which I use. But I don't know exactly what the MB is running at, but I know the RAM is running correctly.

Any ideas what happened? Did I recieve the wrong processor in the correct packaging, or did my system somehow underclock the processor?

Also, is there a program I can d/l to tell me my CPU temp when running programs, I can't find my MB CD with the utilities.

Btw more info I found. On this forum there is a complete list of AMD processors and specs.

These are the specs for a 1800+..
Athlon XP 1800+ --> Tbred b --> 1.6v --> 11.5 --> 1533MHz --> 64+64 256 KB

As you can see the multiplier is 11.5, and the stats posted for the 2400+, the multiplier was 15 like my system shows.

Also, both were listed as 133mhz FSB, while mine is only 100.

I'm totally confused :(

It could be that your system is using the wrong FSB.

15*100 would be 1.5Ghz for an 1800+

15*133 would be 2Ghz for a 2400+

Use the BIOS to put your system at 133FSB, and if that runs stabile and all, it seems like it was just your motherboard.

Last edited:
So all I need to do to change my MB FSB is change that option in BIOS, I don't have to change memory FSB or voltages?

llamabob said:
So all I need to do to change my MB FSB is change that option in BIOS, I don't have to change memory FSB or voltages?

If your ram is DDR333 or above, it should be fine without any other changes.

Few quick things..if it is just my MB running below what it's suppose to, is it normal for it to read my processor as a 1800+ instead of the 2400+ it is(I hope) with lower FSB?

Also, how can I see my CPU's temp while not in BIOS?

llamabob said:
Few quick things..if it is just my MB running below what it's suppose to, is it normal for it to read my processor as a 1800+ instead of the 2400+ it is(I hope) with lower FSB?

Also, how can I see my CPU's temp while not in BIOS?

It seems like your chip is right, and the program reading the CPU is just making an estimate on the speed, which, for 1.5Ghz, is 1800+

Ok cool, I'll give it a try tomorrow, raising my MB FSB to 1.33.

Thank you very much for the help. I'll check back in tomorrow and tell the results.

Ugh, unfortunately my board will not allow me to change the FSB, I thought that chipset did. I looked in the manual and it says it automatically chooses it's FSB. Is the MB FSB also doubled like RAM, like 333 DDR RAM really runs at 1.66, is it the same for MB? Cus the manual says it supports 200, 266 and 333mhz, and it's running at 100. I dunno why though, it should be running 333.

And thanks for that info on Tiger. I'll have to let my Dad know, although I'm surprised he used them again, awhile ago they gave him huge problems when purchasing my computer case. They sent him the wrong one, and wanted him to pay again for the correct one and said they would refund him when they recieved the wrong one back :/ However I figured it to be a one time problem. Like I said the packaging on my processor was solid and closed, I dunno if they could open it and switch them without me noticing.

They are the ones who package the machine, they didn't set it up correctly.
Regarding memory speed.
Athlons use DDR memory, DDR stands for Double Data Rate, which means at a physical speed of 100MHz you get the same throughput as on SDRAM @ 200MHz, so anything the manual says you just divide by two. so 200, 266 and 333 become 100, 133 and 166.
I don't know what board you're running in that system otherwise it'd be easier for us to help you get to the setting you need.
Memory speed and FSB are two different things, tho they are connected and memory speed is dependant on the FSB.
There must be a setting for FSB, either on the motherboard itself (with a jumper(s)) or in the BIOS somewhere.

Crack open the manual to your motherboard and in their look for jumper/fsb settings. In there shoud be a picture of where the jumper switch is located on your motherboard to switch from 100MHz to 133MHz FSB if you cannot use the BIOS to change frequencies.

Oh and btw :welcome:

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone.

My manual has just as you said, and for 266mhz it says to have JP2 and JP3 open, not shorted. So I will remove a jumper cap to change it.

I just hope this doesn't ruin anything. I know the RAM could handle 1.66, my processor is suppose to be running at 1.33, so it shouldn't hurt for my board to be 1.33(which is an allowable setting also based on the manual), but I'm paranoid :p But it sounds like the Mobo was just pre-set to 100mhz and meant to be changed by the user.

Thanks again, I'll probly give it a try tonight and post back :)

Oh one more thing, about heat. When I make the switch I will go to BIOS and monitor the heat for awhile, but how can I check the heat when running applicatons in windows and the processor is working hard? It's an odd question to ask on google or search the forums so I can't find the answer.

Hey I d/l that program and it says my CPU temp is -52F and my case temp is 152F. Neither of those temps makes sense. How can my CPU be so cold and my case so hot? These numbers look wrong to anyone else?

llamabob said:
Weird, samething again, Temp1 -52, temp2 166

I had the same problem with my Giga-byte motherboard, told me my CPU temp at idle was 68c and load was about 80c, no way it couldve been right because Id touch my heatsink, which happens to be a Venus 12, and It was lukewarm, actually less than lukewarm. I went out and bought some temp diodes and found that It was my motherboard, the diodes i bought read 31c Idle and 38c load. Id try that, theres no way it could be anything else, you might wanna flash your bios if you havnt already tried that.

Hope this helps

Back