• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick AMD newb question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MajinDan

Registered
Hello, I am considering ditching my P4 setup for an Athlon 64 one. I've been shopping around online and was curious as to what advantage the socket 939 might have over the 754?

939 will be around longer and has a wider variety of cpus. Why are you switching from a P4? If you play a lot of games it makes sense. Otherwise.........

First of all s939 has dual channel memory, while s754 doesn't.
Secondly, the new rev E chips are now available and OC great, while you can't get these on the s754, unless you wait for the Newark (s754 San Diego), which will be released sometime in the future.
nF4 chipset also gives you the option of PCI-E.
And an option to go dual core in the future if you want.

socket 754 is no longer getting new A64 cpu's, only some semprons which are 32 bit and have a SMALL cache. It also uses single channel memory vs. the dual channel of 939. New products are being released for 939 as well, and it has a wide variety of cpu's with prices.

Here is what i suggest:

OCZ Modstream 520W PSU
3000+ Venice A64
DFI NF4 Ultra-D which can be pin moded to support SLI.
PDP Patriot TCCD

Yeah, my P4 will be for video editing where as my future AMD will be EXCLUSIVELY for gaming. I think I'll go with 939 but what CPU should I get? I will eventually O/C it but I've been reading about the Venice, SanDiego, and all these other chips...which is the best all round? I would like to get at least a 3400+ 64-bit. Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, Asus or Abit for my mobo? I've always had great luck with Asus and am already familiar with them...

I've heard good things about that Asus board. My friend has just upgraded to s939 Athlon 64 and Sentential recommened him this Gigabyte board, ill have to wait till i get home for the model but i definitly plan on getting the Gigabyte board or that Asus board - pending on funds at the time. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you :)

Back