• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

go mini pci or pcmia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuEagle05

So I've turned over and am now a notebook user...IBM T40. It has an internal mpci slot for b networks. Would it be worth it to install a card there, or should I just get a pcmia wireless card? I don't have a home network, but my university is wireless b.

Anyone install a mpci card before, is it hard. I have to take things apart...the palm rest and keyboard :-( I've bulit a few computers before buy lappys make me nervous.

Personally, I'd go for the mini-pci card, for two reasons. First, it keeps your pcmcia slot open if you ever need it. Probably unlikely, but I like to keep my options open. Second, I've always preferred things to be internal, where possible. I find that external stuff kinda detract from the image.

You'd have to check for your particular make/model, but the mini-pci slot might be accessible from a panel on the bottom of the laptop.

I haven't installed a mini-pci card, but I've taken apart an old laptop. It still works, so I guess I didn't screw up :). Trick is to just go slowly, remember where everything goes. Write things down or even take pictures, if you have to. If IBM provides dis-assembly manuals, get one, as it'll stop you from having to learn about any tricky bits the hard way. If you're nervous about taking it apart, I'm sure there's a service center that'll be glad to do it for you.

yah those pcmia cards like stick out more than a centimeter on the side... I think it degrades the look of a laptop alittle bit... and the mini pci cards supposidly have more features and power saving abilities ie it completes the "centrino package"

I dropped a Broadcom mini pci and then a linksys mini pci card into my fathers T40. I found that the IBM bios is set to not allow non-ibm mini pci cards. I got around this by inserting them after POST but that seems like not the best idea:)
could get dangerous for the machine I imagine.

He was able to use any brand pcmcia card.

Just thought you would like to know in case you went shopping for a mini pci card. I googled the problem and found ways to hack the bios to allow any brand of mini pci cards but since it's a leased laptop from his employer I thought it not good to mess with too much.

BTW - it did have the antenna installed and ready to go underneath one of the panels on the bottom of the machine

I like the PCMIA cards (I have two). They are easy to put in and swap, they (some of them, mine can) have external antennas plugged in to boost signal strength, when your transporting the lappy take them out and they wont break, and I find you get better reception with them.

9mmCensor said:
I like the PCMIA cards (I have two). They are easy to put in and swap, they (some of them, mine can) have external antennas plugged in to boost signal strength, when your transporting the lappy take them out and they wont break, and I find you get better reception with them.

Same here, I liked the option of slapping on a big antenna when I need one. and when you don't need them they are small enough to fit in any laptop bag or case. I did use both types and for me the card was best but it will depend on your use. If the locations you use WiFi are well saturated and/or your slot(s) are located in a bad spot, the mini-PCI would be a better choice for you.

Back