• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small heatsinks available?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

Does anyone use small heatsinks on, say, a southbridge chip or NIC chip? I'd like to put something on these and don't know if there is a retail product that I can use. If nothing is available, has anyone fabricated their own? TIA

There are all kinds of little heatsinks available from lots of places. I've put sinks on the southbridge chip of two motherboards now and have come to the conclusion it's a waste of time. It did not do anything. However, a little 10mm X 20mm sink on the ICS clock generator chip is supposed to help a little bit at high FSB speeds. Try this link, I've ordered stuff from there a couple of times.

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/51/cat51.htm?940

batboy said:
There are all kinds of little heatsinks available from lots of places. I've put sinks on the southbridge chip of two motherboards now and have come to the conclusion it's a waste of time. It did not do anything. However, a little 10mm X 20mm sink on the ICS clock generator chip is supposed to help a little bit at high FSB speeds.

I didn't even think about the clock generator. I guess I need to find mine before I buy something to put on it. :) How did you attach to that and the SB? Tape, epoxy, AS w/ superglue? Do you know what material those HS are made of? If aluminum, I think I could copy them pretty easily.

Millisec has some great copper heatsinks. Check Radio Shack for a clock gen heatsink. Arctic Silver Epoxy is the prefered method of attatchment for small heatsinks.

Back