• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is amd coming out with SSE3????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steveo989

Not officially involved with AAR
Is there some legal garbage AMD has to go through to obtain SSE3 so we can finally get the 450point qmd's :shrug:

The Venice and San Diego core has it already. The X2 will have it also.

QMDs not running on AMD rigs has nothing to do with SSE3. QMDs have to have SSE2 and benefit from SSE3 which, BTW, most newer A64s have. The basic licensing issue is that AMD will not allow its math library to run on Intel chips and Intels math library doesn't currently run on AMD chips.

So this means stanford has to code for AMD on QMDs? Essentially what we have is a program that will run on Intels but not AMDs. One has to wonder how much longer before qmd's are available to AMDs.

I have a feeling it has to do with the Intel sponsorship of folding, if it is only intel that can fold the 450point qmd then people will buy intel. Catch my drift.

i dont know how effective sse3 instructions are, but my 3700+ san diego just munched thru a 600-pointer in just under 2 days...and thats with me using the pc to game on at the same time :D

Vrykyl said:
i dont know how effective sse3 instructions are, but my 3700+ san diego just munched thru a 600-pointer in just under 2 days...and thats with me using the pc to game on at the same time :D

SSE2/3 makes absolutely no difference on p114x because its a single precision calc that uses SSE not SSE2/3. Currently the QMD and DGromacs cores are the only ones using SSE2. The 3700+ S939 should produce right at 300 ppd (29:20/frame) on that protien, which is about what you're seeing.

The seemingly easy fix for the AMD/QMD problem would be creating a QMD-A core that only ran on AMD cpus. However, AMD prohibits the free distribution of their SSE2/3 executabile. It may not be fair to paint Intel as the bad guy. The most likely fix is going to come from Intel when they get their version of SSE2/3 running on AMDs, which may happen in the near future.

Yes, the new revision AMD's have SSE3. That includes Venice (Athlon64) ,San Diego (Athlon FX, but slower versions also with 1mb of L2 cache labelled as Athlon 64), the newer versions of Palermo (Sempron. Note that older versions of Palermo are disabled Winchesters that do not support SSE3, however the newer Palermo's or disabled Venices do have it), and Manchester/Toledo (Athlon 62 X2 dual core's).

Back