• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powering my new Sapphire x800PRO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Craptacualr

hey all, just got me a brand spankin new (or at least I think it is) Sapphire x800PRO from newegg refrub. for $202.50 I couldnt pass it up so its minses :santa:. Anyway, this thing looks like its never even been used before. No visible marks on any of the PCI-e gold-flake connectors, heatsink was polished clean and the core sitll had the original thermal paste on it, so I'm pretty sure its a nice new one that someone jsut returned cause they didnt want it (crossing my fingers anyway).

I'm getting ready to POST test it and am wondering if there's anythign special that I need to do to power it. Any funky connectors I need to plug in for supplimental power to this beast? especially this strange 6-pin black one in the upper right of the corner?

I tried to downlaod the manual from Sapphire, but they of course dont have one, or if they do, I cant find it... Thanks guys :bang head. Anyway, if there's anything special I need to do here, please let me know, otherwise I'm just gonna drop my waterblock on it and have my way wit it :D

If its a funky strange power adapter then i would have thought a suitable converter from molex would have been provided. Is it similar to an SATA connection for power at all?

I would try it anyway although if you get stability issues then that may be to blame.

Craptacualr said:
hey all, just got me a brand spankin new (or at least I think it is) Sapphire x800PRO from newegg refrub. for $202.50 I couldnt pass it up so its minses :santa:. Anyway, this thing looks like its never even been used before. No visible marks on any of the PCI-e gold-flake connectors, heatsink was polished clean and the core sitll had the original thermal paste on it, so I'm pretty sure its a nice new one that someone jsut returned cause they didnt want it (crossing my fingers anyway).

I'm getting ready to POST test it and am wondering if there's anythign special that I need to do to power it. Any funky connectors I need to plug in for supplimental power to this beast? especially this strange 6-pin black one in the upper right of the corner?

I tried to downlaod the manual from Sapphire, but they of course dont have one, or if they do, I cant find it... Thanks guys :bang head. Anyway, if there's anything special I need to do here, please let me know, otherwise I'm just gonna drop my waterblock on it and have my way wit it :D
yah that thing is the pci-e power conector (u need to plug that into ur psu) the card should have come with an adapter :)

yeah, its a 6-pin molex connector. kinda non-standard for computers but somewhat standard in EE applications from what I know. Sapphire seems to make 4 versions of PRO's form the reviews I've checked out. One with a 6-pin molex, one with a standard 4-pin molex, one with a non-standard 4-pin connector, and finally one with NO connector. Man these guys really have their stuff together ;)

Anyway, I'll try POSTing with it in a little bit after I drill some mounting holes in my CPU waterblock :)

Poop, wont POST without the molex plugged in. The reason I didn't get a cable is cause this thign came to me from newegg refurb, they dont necessarily HAVE to send it with any cabling. Usually they do, but I guess this time they didnt. Doesnt matter to me, I'll just hit up the Radioshack tommorry to pick one up. Its a standad 6-pin connector, just have to wire it :)

hehe, sell me one? pfft. I made my own by chopping up an old 150W PS cable. Turns out the pins are the same specs as that of an ATX power supply, so I just chopped one up, glued it together, and the card fired right up :D

Thanks for the help though guys, appreciated it :)

LOL thats great, IO am thinking of getting this samer card. Its still 200$.Let me know how It O/Cs mine will be gonning under a pelt :)

Back