Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Gen. 3 Taurus Wagon. Aftermarket suspension components.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 05-13-05, 10:39 PM Thread Starter   #1
@md0Cer

Gen. 3 Taurus Wagon. Aftermarket suspension components.

Hello. I have a generation 3 Ford Taurus Wagon (1996) with roughly 130,000 miles on it and it is badly in need of new shocks. I have a few questions:

1.) Is it just the damping provided by the struts wears off through miles or do the springs get softer too? It just feels unusally soft. For example, if you throw it into an apex banging tire scraping turn, it feels like it is leaning allot more than it used to. It isn't all floaty like most cars are when the struts go. It still feels firm, just with loads of body roll. The suspension doesn't absorb bumps as well as it used to either.

So, my theory is either my sway bars are the issue, or perhaps the strut and the spring wore equally?

2.) Does anyone know where I could get stiffer struts and maybe even springs if I need them? Maybe there is a large selection for say... a 350Z, but not quite so for a 1996 Taurus Wagon. I checked the tirerack, they have a VERY limited selection. For springs there is an Eibach lowering kit (I think totally unnecessary) and these 60 dollar shocks that don't seem like the type that would really be any stiffer than stock. Any other sites I could check out that carry a large selection of suspension components kinda like the Tirerack? I already tried google and it didn't turn up much.

3.) Lets say I do find my parts, I buy them, I sure as hell don't have the time, tools, and knowledge to install them, what types of places would install such a thing as aftermarket struts for you? I doubt I could roll up to a Ford dealer and ask them to do any work unless I bought the parts from them. Plus, dealers are incredibly expensive.

Thanks for any help guys.

Abit KD7 Via KT400 5:2:1 divider PCI: 37Mhz AGP:92.5Mhz
3X256+512=1278MB RAM assortment 185Mhz 2.95Vdimm
ATi Radeon X700 Pro 256mb Core:435Mhz Ram: 475Mhz
Forton 400 watt PSU
Black Cheiftec Dragon full side window

Folding User Stats
@md0Cer is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-05, 12:16 AM   #2
SK8

Dont go to a dealer man! Just take it to midas or something of the equivlent.
SK8 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-05, 07:28 AM   #3
Xenocide

don't go to midas either, they will get you just as bad

go to a mom and pop place

Old 05-14-05, 08:37 AM   #4
NewbiePerson

Actually springs and struts take about an hour for all 4 corners if that. Shocks would be right there so maybe 2 hours to do everything considering your first time. For the most part just a handy dandy socket set with some w40. Oh and 2 jacks.
However, to the best of my knowledge it would take a fair bit of heat for a spring to soften. I'd try replacing the shocks first, some nice KYB's or Blistein's will suit you very well. You can pick those up at any advance or autozone along with the springs/strut if you deem it so. Shocks aren't too expensive, probably $150 for all 4 just guessing (depending on what u get though). Blistein pwns but is a little more expensive. KYB-GR2 is the usual, it's what I have on my bug.
NewbiePerson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-05, 08:54 AM   #5
tom10167

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocide
don't go to midas either, they will get you just as bad

go to a mom and pop place

Don't take it to a mom and pop place, they suck too!

Seriously, there's no such thing as a good mechanic.
tom10167 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-05, 09:02 AM   #6
mtb856

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom10167
Don't take it to a mom and pop place, they suck too!

Seriously, there's no such thing as a good mechanic.
Actually, you can find mom and pop shops that do reliable work for less money than the dealerships. We just had to replace our rear hub assembly on our integra, so based on some recommendations from the guys our dad works with, we took it to this shop in the middle of the ghetto. They charged us less than half what the dealership wanted for it, did an excellent job, and we haven't had any problems from the part yet.

You just have to look around to find one that you can trust.
mtb856 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-05, 09:06 AM   #7
Xenocide

im getting my exhaust done at some mom and pop place called bob's muffler. all the guys i know with mustangs get theirs done there.

they charge 125 for entire exhuast and tips if your keeping cats, mandrel bent stainless steel. you supply mufflers

pretty good deal.

Old 05-14-05, 10:35 AM Thread Starter   #8
@md0Cer

Thanks guys. I after reading Newbieperson's post it sounds like it wouldn't be too hard. I was just not sure about it because I have heard so many stories of people having the spring "unspring" and like cut them in half or something.

If I just did the shocks though, I wouldn't have to compress the spring right?

Forton 400 watt PSU

Folding User Stats
Old 05-15-05, 06:01 PM   #9
stockhatch

Be very very careful if you do decide to do the work yourself. The horror stories you have heard are not all unfounded. If a compressed spring lets go it could very well go through your skull. Just take every precaution possible, and use the PROPER tools(spring compressor). My dad used to change springs with two jacks and a length of chain(not a great idea). Check out Autozone for tools. They loan out pretty much everything a mechanic would need(for free).

E6600(8x400) - Infinity
2x250 Perps RAID 0
P5W DH Deluxe
2GB GSkill HK
8800GTX
620HX

HEAT
stockhatch is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-05, 06:13 PM Thread Starter   #10
@md0Cer

Thanks guys. If anything I will probably just buy the shocks and maybe have someone else do it. I am too afraid of screwing something up and having a suspension failure mid-turn or something.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though!

Forton 400 watt PSU

Folding User Stats

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.