• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

City of Heros?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward78

I am kind of wondering about this game, when City Of Villains comes out it will have a actual PvP system.

I was wondering is it easy to get bored in the game?
Is there a leveling grind?
I am looking for a fun MMORPG that is easy to learn.
When will CoV be out so I can have some PvP action?

Last edited:
are these games for online play only or do they have single player campaigns?

It's an mmorpg, and those types are always only online games.

And Edward, the game lacks much PvP. There was a recently introduced arena into CoH, but its not open PvP. It's nothing like Lineage 2's open PvP. And from what I've heard, CoV will introduce zones designated for PvP. And there are some rumors for invited/allowed PvP. There isn't much concrete info on this though.

There are many people who play at all types of levels. There can be a grind, but most people just play with what they can at each level, instead of being bored for hours grinding.

The game is fairly easy to learn. I've even met parents who let their 6 year olds play it. This is a very entertaining game which I suggest most mmorpg fans to try out, but this doesn't seem to be a game for elitists and powerlevelers.

City of Villains (CoV) is said to be released on August 14, 2005. But releases tend to be moved back often.

So PvP won't be everywhere when CoV comes out? I am just a former Shadowbane player, and no MMORPGs out are like it.

CoH is technically a great game, but lacks a lot of depth. I loved it, but there really was nothing to do but grind.

Some games break things up with crafting or keep you going with loot as bait. CoH has none of that and the quests were simply go to x location, grind some more and click on an item.

Now I hope this has changed since I played, but if it hasn't the game gets old quickly, even for a casual gamer.

Hopefully a current player can fill us in on the current state of these issues.

ps if they haven't been addressed, try WoW. It has all the stuff I loved about CoH, but has A LOT more depth and is very casual gamer friendly. There are issues with the new honor system, but I expect those to be resolved quickly.

I left WoW about a month ago, no real PvP just kill enemy faction no real meaning. How is BF what is new really? Plus I found it hard to level my human mage, he dies to fast, even at the better armor. I got him to 31, got bored & left. Plus, the community is not really helpful they leave groups with no reason & they just want to quest with you, even guilds "can't be bothered with you".

OC Noob said:
CoH is technically a great game, but lacks a lot of depth. I loved it, but there really was nothing to do but grind.

Some games break things up with crafting or keep you going with loot as bait. CoH has none of that and the quests were simply go to x location, grind some more and click on an item.

Now I hope this has changed since I played, but if it hasn't the game gets old quickly, even for a casual gamer.

Hopefully a current player can fill us in on the current state of these issues.

my experiences exactly... i haven't played in half a year, but this pretty much sums it up... the concept of the game is great, and they've done a landmark job w/ the character customizability (it was obviously one of their biggest focuses), but the actual gameplay turned out to be extremely repetitive... and it felt like a horrid grind...

there are some party dynamics, minimal teamwork required, but when most of the fun in the game relies on creative role-playing, you know something's missing in content...

for me it was fun for a very short while, but definitely fun for a time. I'd probably advise you to wait till city of villians comes out so you can expect there to be more depth to the game (though nobody can say how much more...)

CoV was hoped for and speculated on pretty much as soon as the game was released... we'll see if this really brings as much to the game as i'm sure the die-hards are hoping it will ;)

Im gonna have to agree also, game got a little boring after awhile of playing, loved the character design and the world was pretty fun also, but no loot and boring quests :/ hopefully will try it out again if CoV gets some good reviews :)

Well with CoV you can kill a villain anywhere & anytime you see him/her right?

they have not released any info about their pvp system

but i say u should give it a try i played it for a good 2 months be4 i got bored with it

All PvP in CoH and CoV will be consensual. It will not be open PvP according to the developers.

Well i checked back on CoV and i think the way ppl are expecting it to work (not sure if this trickled down from the developers or not) is going to be something like a duel, so it'll be like "meet me at the warehouse" and it'll match you up with someone else of a similar level... reminds me of neopets ^^

Back