• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need fast help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElGriton

A buddy of mine has an asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with a barton 3200. He just replaced his HS/F and now he can't power up his computer. When he hits his power button the fans all start to spin up for a half a second and then the thing powers down. If anyone has the answer to this it would be great!!!

It sounds like the cpu is overheating. Remove the HSF and look at the pattern the thermal grease made on the cpu and heatsink base to see if it was seated well. Then remount with new grease.

i think modern cpus CAN burn up within seconds of being turned on if they have little to no cooling at all....

ElGriton said:
A buddy of mine has an asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with a barton 3200. He just replaced his HS/F and now he can't power up his computer. When he hits his power button the fans all start to spin up for a half a second and then the thing powers down. If anyone has the answer to this it would be great!!!

Well it could also be that the motherboard has a cpu fan speed safety feature. Does his new fan use a molex connector, has he tried to plug the old fan in and see if it worked then?

Check the heatsink is seated properly?
Check thermal compound has been applied?
Try clearing BIOS (sometimes works wonders... *shrug*) ?
Any visible damage to the core?
CPU fan plugged in? Many boards will not boot if it is not!

sounds like he didnt seat it properlly the first time. or the cpu is dead

Cracked corners can often mean trouble. A friend of mine had a Duron 800 which died in the same way.

when i built my first system and got my CS:S name in my sig from my friends, burning up a CPU can happen in only a few seconds, and then the system will "remember" that and not want to boot.

a few years ago i incorrectly seated one of the socket A cpu heatsinks. thankfully it didnt kill it. my father assumed it was dead though hehe.

still have that cpu working to this day.

Back