• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 kills me...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bit

I've just started playing with overclocking... but I'm amazed that a computer that seems OK can still be a bit screwed up under the hood.

I can boot to Windows and use office apps and play games... and everything "looks" OK... but Prime95 gives hardware errors within a couple minutes of launching "Torture Test -> Custom".

That's telling me that something (memory, CPU, temperature, voltage) is a little off and it's occasionally getting answers like "1 + 1 = 3", right?

Sure enough, backing off on the speeds a bit clears it up.

Curse you Lucas + Lehmer! :)

Bit

Bit said:
I've just started playing with overclocking... but I'm amazed that a computer that seems OK can still be a bit screwed up under the hood.

I can boot to Windows and use office apps and play games... and everything "looks" OK... but Prime95 gives hardware errors within a couple minutes of launching "Torture Test -> Custom".

yup. Try doing something where accuracy matters, like compiling software, and you'll notice all sorts of errors that don't show up just surfin' the 'net in windows.

That's telling me that something (memory, CPU, temperature, voltage) is a little off and it's occasionally getting answers like "1 + 1 = 3", right?

Sure enough, backing off on the speeds a bit clears it up.

Curse you Lucas + Lehmer! :)

Bit

You nailed it. You cpu (or memory) is starting to to become unstable and is giving errors. Cooling and voltage adjustments can help with this, so can backing down the speed.

I had to lower HTT enough my CPU speed dropped 200MHz. This has run for a couple hours OK with Prime95:

274.jpg

Jack222: it's on a DFI SLI-DR w/VapoChill EE II. I still have my old slow memory running a 5/6 divisor in BIOS 228MHz @ 2.5-3-3-7. I'm buying 2 of these to start with.

If the memory is slow and needs a divisor.. is there any benefit to lowering the CPU multiplier and upping the HTT (giving the same final overall CPU MHz?)

Thanks!

Bit

Last edited:
Back