• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Shutdown or Logoff program?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchur83

I am looking for a program that can remotely log off a user on demand or remotely shutdown a computer on demand on a local LAN. I have been trying many different ones that are out there, but most of them dont seem to work if the remote computer is logged on with a different username/password than the one logged on remotely. I would prefer a free program. I am trying to shut down an XP home machine. Any ideas?

what about you setup a realvnc on each of the computers? then, because its over LAN, use the java logon and shutdown. Its like remote desktop.

www.realvnc.com

its easy to setup. Just install it, add a password/encryption. Set each computers port to eg:
comp1 = 5800 (192.168.1.101)
comp2 = 5801 (192.168.0.102)
etc..
then just do
http://192.168.0.1.101:5800
and enter password and it will log on.

RealVNC only uses 3mb of RAM so its hardly anything.

Hope that helps.

ps2cho said:
what about you setup a realvnc on each of the computers? then, because its over LAN, use the java logon and shutdown. Its like remote desktop.

www.realvnc.com

its easy to setup. Just install it, add a password/encryption. Set each computers port to eg:
comp1 = 5800 (192.168.1.101)
comp2 = 5801 (192.168.0.102)
etc..
then just do
http://192.168.0.1.101:5800
and enter password and it will log on.

RealVNC only uses 3mb of RAM so its hardly anything.

Hope that helps.

I actually already have VNC on the machine, but I dont want any user interaction with the logged on user.

Silversinksam said:
I use one of these. But I rarely shut off my PC

That would be an idea. I already have a Remote car starter that basically would work the same way. I might have to figure out how to use that.

I have tried a few command line based commands, but I alway get a username/password error. That seems to be my largest hurdle. Even when I enter the Admin username/password, it comes back denied.

you could use a combination of pstools and the shutdown.exe command. Even if shutdown isnt on the machine pstools will transfer it prior to running it. Pstools are a really useful bunch of remote adtmin tools!

Back