• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what psu to power sli + vapo + raptors +

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spiritedandy

Premium Member
hi all

need new psu

but which one has to power a vapochill so must be compatible with that ...

plus has to power 2 raptors
2 6800 s
2 drives
2 sticks of gskill 1gb
and overclocked cpu to 3200mhz athlon 64
on a dfi sli mobo

any idias :)

wow seems to have everything what about this "With Active PFC"

im not sure but i think that causes problems for my vapo?

The OCZ 600w may or may not run that much 12v depending how the 12v load is distributed on it. You might be better off with the 520w. Looks like the Vapochill needs from 7-9A on the 12v depending on the model if I understand things right.

My own suggestions are the Fortron/Sparkle FSP550-60PLG (36A @ 12v) or PC P&C 510 SLI (36A-38A @ 12v). You might also have some luck with the Silverstone 650w unit. Since you're running DFI, stay away from Zippy until you have confirmed the compatibility problem has been addressed (maybe fire an email in Zippy's direction - I haven't heard anything lately). However, if it has been addressed, look at their high watt units also.

PFC will have no effect on the Vapochill - it relates to the load apparent to the power company, and has nothing to do with the DC output of a PSU.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
My own suggestions are the Fortron/Sparkle FSP550-60PLG (36A @ 12v) or PC P&C 510 SLI (36A-38A @ 12v). You might also have some luck with the Silverstone 650w unit. Since you're running DFI, stay away from Zippy until you have confirmed the compatibility problem has been addressed (maybe fire an email in Zippy's direction - I haven't heard anything lately). However, if it has been addressed, look at their high watt units also.

Zippy and DFI incompatability is only when using vdimm from the 5v. So you could use some TCCD and the Zippy no prob... Also, There's a 700w zippy with 45amps on one 12v rail.

thanx for reply Oklahoma Wolf

still thinking dont want to make mistake ....ill look up what you said cheers

andy

pcp&C is always great.
nother great choice is antec. I have their 550 and it works great. I don't have nearly the load that you do, but it should still be enough.

aeiou said:
I don't have nearly the load that you do, but it should still be enough.

It would actually take the Truepower 550 EPS model to power that load... yours is a 5v oriented system that is more what Antec was targeting with the original Truepowers.

That PC P&C will do wonderfully :)

I have some of the same setup as you, sli-dr, 1gb gskills, raptor drives, and a vapo, if you can afford all of that i hope you planned on getting one of the best psus, if you can affored the 240 or how much ever ti cost def go with the pc p&c 510 sli

flamerail said:
what about using 2 psu?

No dont want two just one all to fit in vapo all nice and neat .....

Well i think thats decided for me im off to order it .....

one strange thing rails of antec true power were 3v= 2.95 5v= 4.97 12v= 12.27...

that was with my x300 card ive just got my new 6800 ultra put that in and its gone up to

3v= 3.24 5v= 5.02 12v= 12.15 ????? :eh?:

Back