• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need expert opinion - 64bit CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeepSky

Please don't flame me for this because i have looked at the sticky posts about 64bit CPUs, but to me its still confusion. So i'll pose my question as this:

What would be the best AMD 64 bit CPU and Mobo combination for a budget of 500$ for current and nextgen gaming? And why?

Any expert advice on this would greatly, greatly be appreciated. I don't want another flop like buying a 3000+ barton instead of the 2500+ or anything like that. Thanks.

For the processor, you have many choices available to you. Personally, I'd go with a 3200+ Venice. Not only is it reasonably priced at or under $200, but it should provide you with some flexibility in overclocking, both in the new core revision and the use of the 10x multiplier.

As far as the motherboard, my nod would go to the DFI NF4 Ultra-D hands down. However, I see in your sig that you already have an x800 Pro on the AGP flavor; it would be in your best interests to sell your card and move to PCI-E, as it will increase your selection of current and upcoming motherboards to choose from. If you are adamant about staying with your existing platform, then you can look at an MSI K8N Neo 2 or EpoX 9PNDA3+.

deception``

Your other option is to wait for DFI to release the AGP/939 mobo. Over all i would aggree with deception, though. A 3200+ venice should give you decent overclocking as well as decent stock performance. The Ultra-D is a great motherboard, but its also a chalenge to setup, your going to have to do some home work on settings and parts to buy, Asus also has some decent options, if your interested the Asus SLI is a great mobo. One of my friends just got one and loves it.

I don't know if epox has improved their quality control, but if not I would stay clear of them. I had to rma my last epox board 3 times within a year, and i broke down the fourth time as soon as warrenty ended. I also have quite a few friends with epox boards, and none have lasted through warrenty without breaking.

Maby they are sending bad batches to finland :)

Yeh i haven't had very good luck with ePox. In any case I would like to get the new system soon, but i suppose i could sell the AGP x800, the thing is i don't know how much i could get for it and buying the PCI-E version would probably set me back another 200. So i guess this is what i'm curious about now:

1) I took a look at the DFI board and the other boards and read a few reader reviews and i'm liking that board alot, but when is the AGP version scheduled to release?

2) What is the difference between the PCI-Ex1, x4 and x16? Are the x16's meant for the PCI-E line of video cards?

3) Lastly do you guys recommend any certain brand of RAM that works well with this board and the 3200+ Venice?

4) Oh i forgot, one more thing, have any of you had any problems buying OEM mobo's from NewEgg?
Thanks again

Mainly bro it depends on whether you want to get rid of your x800PRO or not. I know that Asus gave you and I fits but it isnt half as bad as some of the S939 AGP boards.

In order to get a semi-decent S939 motherboard you would be forced to go PCI-E, which in turn would require you to get rid of your x800PRO. I honestllly would not reccomend going with any of the S939 AGP boards if you can. It was a real nightmare.

You also have the option of getting a hybrid Intel LGA775 board, namely Abit's AS8. From there you can buy a 6xx based CPU and clock it past 4ghz.

You have plenty of options at your disposal. If you are looking for speed over stability get the S939, however if stability is your cheif concern I would look at the AS8 and a good 640

Back