• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800XL 16 Pipelines, X850Pro 12 Pipelines? Which one to BUY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skahtul

I am looking at the X800XL or the X850Pro. I Can't find as much info on the X850Pro. It does look like the Pro has a higher clock rate than the X800. I am looking at only the PCI-e versions.

My Question:
Are the fewer pipelines but greater clock worth the extra $$ ? Any information or links would be greatly appreciated. I have a MSI just waiting on one of these two cards.

imo id go with the x800xl - from what iv seen its about comparable to a 6800gt at stock and having the extra non-crippled pipelines can make a lot of difference in certain games/benchies

Vrykyl said:
imo id go with the x800xl - from what iv seen its about comparable to a 6800gt at stock and having the extra non-crippled pipelines can make a lot of difference in certain games/benchies

Yup, the X800XL is a 6800GT killer for 100$ less while the X800Pro a wee better then 6600GT and costs more.
X800XL seems to be the current bang for the $ card.
Also a RoseWill one is 269$ at newegg and you can't beat that price!

And here I thought the PRO was very similar in performance to the XL, the XL was just cheaper. A wee bit better than a 6600gt?

Flip-Mode said:
Yup, the X800XL is a 6800GT killer for 100$ less while the X800Pro a wee better then 6600GT and costs more.

Where are you getting this info from man? A x800pro will blow a 6600gt away, the 9800pro is closer to a 6600gt than a x800pro is.

A 6600gt will hit about 4000 05 marks while a x800pro will hit 6000 05 marks. Those are just average estimates from the orb but I don’t call about a 50% increase in performance a "wee better". Also the top scores in 05 between a x800pro and a x800xl are 6832 vs. 6850 .

The x800xl is a better value if you are paying the MSRP, but you can find refurbished x800pro's for <$250 around now if you look.

don’t mean to seem harsh I just do not like seeing statements like this when they are completely false.

Last edited:
The PRO is castrated, they took quarter of his pipes. There are tons of XL reviews out there and they all show that the XL is head to head with the 6800GT and even beats him most of the time AND it costs 100$+ less.

Flip-Mode said:
The PRO is castrated, they took quarter of his pipes. There are tons of XL reviews out there and they all show that the XL is head to head with the 6800GT and even beats him most of the time AND it costs 100$+ less.

I am not debating whether or not the x800xl can beat a 6800gt I am refering to the fact that you said a x800pro is a wee better than a 6600gt.

Guess I should of cut the first part of that quote out, but if you read my post you will see the point I am trying to make.

OK researching, I'll get back to you in few mins.

Ok this is the only thing I found, if anyone has anything better just shoot.
4388.png

So it seems that the X800Pro and 6600GT are the same according to this.
Link to the page.

Last edited:
Stock the XL is faster than the pro. If you looking for everyday gaming &computing at stock speeds the XL might be a bit faster. When it comes to overclocking the PRO does pull a bit ahead of the XL. The Pro is generally speaking a great overclocker - as it appears only the weak pipes get locked.
From what I have read on various forums the XL is a poor overclocker - and only can get it up there if you work with extreme cooling and vmods.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info so far.

Make sure you are looking at the differance between an 800XL and a "850pro".

Last edited:
oops - just like skahtul said above - need to pay better attention...lol...somehow the X800PRO got in the mix earlier and the discussion went off topic

I've owned both a 16p/6vs 6800nu and a 12p x800pro and I can say for a fact that my x800 was faster than the 6800 in just about anything other than doom3.I can't see how a 6600gt could be even close.if anything (from what I've seen in 3dmark team forum)the xl and the pro are about even when oc'ed.if anything I would think the 850 would be a smidge faster(at stock) but how much I'm not sure.

mikeguava said:
oops - just like skahtul said above - need to pay better attention...lol...somehow the X800PRO got in the mix earlier and the discussion went off topic

Thanks, yeah, I don't care about Nvidia. Just ATI. I would like some benches showing the 850pro if anyone has any links!

The X800XL is about even with the X850Pro there are spots where the pro is faster and the xl is faster.

X850Pro when overclocked is faster in almost everything than a X800XL. This is going off of the average overclocks of both.

Flip-Mode said:
Uhm, I thought that the 6800gt is like 300 bucks now. I see it everywhere for 300 bucks... well, the AGP at least.
The PCI-X I see about an 80 dollar difference. I should have bought the XL for my rig. I was gonna do 2x6600gt SLI, but for some reason my SLI isn't working :( I guess that's what I pay for not buying an SLI board, and trying to mod a non.

g0dM@n said:
Uhm, I thought that the 6800gt is like 300 bucks now. I see it everywhere for 300 bucks... well, the AGP at least.
The PCI-X I see about an 80 dollar difference. I should have bought the XL for my rig. I was gonna do 2x6600gt SLI, but for some reason my SLI isn't working :( I guess that's what I pay for not buying an SLI board, and trying to mod a non.

I thought about that route also, but I didn't like the fact that if a game did not support SLI, then only one of the cards did anything. Didn't seem worth it to me.

I have a nice overclock on my card and I still fall to some of the overclocked 800pro cards..... the 850 cards are even faster....... Now if we're talking about two voltmoded and aftermarket cooled cards I don't know which would win..... my money would still be on the 850 because of the better core.

Back