• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spyware popup infestation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apilot21

Hello, one of my roomates has given me and my other roomate some sort of a spyware popup program that I have not been able to find and get rid of. We share internet through a network and am pretty sure it was spread through there. I have no idea where he got it from because he surfs the internet without caution, he use to click yes on every window that use to pop up so who knows what kind of active x stuff he has on his computer. Anyways I have tried searching the site for similar threads and did what two general spyware removal threads recomended and the pop ups keep coming. Anyone have any ideas what me and my roomates can do to get rid of it or atleast what program it might be? Thanks for your help, my roomates and I appreciate it.

Hijackthis is very good. But I'm lazy. Spybot and AdawareSE along with AVG works best for me. I would install, update, and run those.

If you did indeed do what the forum sticky thread said verbatim, and you're still having problems - you've got a pretty bad infection. At this point a HijackThis log file is all but required to see what kind of mess we're dealing with.

Now that I think about it. You might be better off going the trojan virus route since you are so sure you got it from your buddies rig. TDS-3 is a decent trojan remover with a decent trial period. and http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ is a decent online virus scanner. Good luck. I would do those before posting a HJT log. Also run adaware and spybot in safe mode before posting the HJT log.

Back