• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think this is a first

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NTX-Zoner

Vuln

A vulnerability was found regarding shared cache on hyper threading processors that can allow information release to unprivileged processes.

I give Intel credit for being first to have a security vuln in there processors. FYI, this should not affect home users, only security conscious servers.

Gnufsh said:
Interesting. I'm curious whether this affects IBM's or Sun's SMT and Dual Core implementations, or if they took steps to prevent it.

As far as I understood, it's basicly anything running multiple threads and sharing cache between them. That includes differant hyperthreading variants in P4, Sparc and PowerPc, and any dualcore with shared cache.

From what I've read, the dual cores run separate cache for each core. They should not be affected. Most likely the newer Intel HT cores will will utilize a cache architecture that separate the cache for the threads.

Back