• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suse 9.3 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can boot multiple versions of Linux on a computer. I'm not sure how well SUSE automatically sets it up, but it's no harder to set up manually than a dual boot with windows.

Personally, I would use XOSL to sort out the different operating systems. When it is installed, and you turn on the computer, you will get a login screen. Then you pick which operating system you want to boot up.
I hope it all works out for you.

Why XOSL? What is wrong with GRUB? I find GRUB works very well and is reletively simple to set up. If GRUB doesn't work you could try lilo, or if you want, XOSL.

GRUB is a Bootloader, not an operating system manager. XOSL manages all of the operating systems you have installed, so then you can pick which you want first.

A bootloader helps you load the current operating system on. That's why most Linux distros come with either GRUB or LILO. XOSL is an operating system manager. It lets you pick which operating system you want to boot up.

Let's use SAM(live linux distro) for example. When it's getting set up, and retrieving all the data from the CD, that is a bootloader. When you have multiple operating systems installed, an operating system manager lets you choose which to login in to, and use for that current session.

khiloa said:
.. and an operating system manager does what to be an operating system manager?
Not a clue.

tspier2 said:
When you have multiple operating systems installed, an operating system manager lets you choose which to login in to, and use for that current session.

As I said, most bootloaders have that functionality, in addition to loading the kernel of the intended OS and it seems like most people just use lilo or grub (or even the windows bootloader) to select which OS. I use grub to choose between about 5 different linux kernels, windows and memtest86.

eh, yeah.... I dont see anything that the magic "OS manager" does that i cant do in lilo...

Can Lilo and Grub load an operating system besides Linux and Windows? Basically a bootloader is an operating system with more functionality then, right?

tspier2 said:
Can Lilo and Grub load an operating system besides Linux and Windows?
AFAIK, yes.
Basically a bootloader is an operating system with more functionality then, right?
Not at all. A boot loader can't run other programs. It's only purpose is to load an operating system (and possibly to choose which one to load).

Back