• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's next? Nuclear powered systems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
crazy! I guess Dual SLI Phase change based systems with a dozen drives might require something like the above.

I just read an article somewhere about MIT engineers working on a new technology called microengines. They are small jet turbines that are the size of microdrives that spin at a million RPMs and can produce a kilowatt of energy from a cubic centimeters' worth of fuel.

Supposedly they will have cool exhaust (no more heat than any rechargable battery) and the ability to work in arrays for multiplied power. After some obstacles in manufacturing are overcome they are purported to be in line for everything from cell phones to laptops.

One million RPMs....

Shane

If using 2 sli cards needs a power supply like this, I think that the future useless :p I'll test if my supplier can hold mine and my friends 6600GT...

A turbo-cool 510 Deluxe can run SLi fine...

this is just like, 5 year future-proof

:santa: wants to give me one of these, right santa?

Actually there are hidden cost for this thing...

First, there is the electric bill...
Then the hospital bill when you faint from seeing the electric bill.

Actually there are hidden cost for this thing...
First, there is the electric bill...
Then the hospital bill when you faint from seeing the electric bill.

Ehh.. no.. A watt rating only shows how much power CAN be delivered. So if you power a single fan with a 850w PSU, it doesn't draw more then a couple of watts of power from your outlet socket.

If you are worried about the power bill, then start looking at the efficiency of the PSU in stead. That determines your power bill, and in turn how much power is waster (=heat)

it's a nice power supply but it's a wast of money if you ask me.

1. There is no system that requires that much power, maybe if you have couple Pelts maybe then.
2. It cost too much
3. If there ever will be need for such a big Psu, then there will be cheaper, more efficient, quiter alternatives

That's what they use in those extremely high power multi-CPU Britney-based servers (basically a supercomputer about the size of a small freezer). I have actually seen one of those machines before, and that machine used so much power that the PSU was custom-designed for that machine (I think it had a wattage rating of 1500w). There were 8 Britney CPUs. All the CPUs and the large MOSFETs are watercooled. I don't know how fast it was, but the engineers mentioned something about encoding a dozen HDTV streams at once in realtime without additional coprocessors. For the demo, there were some DVI capture cards attached to video cameras. The supercomputer will pull frames from the cameras at 30FPS (How they got the system bandwidth to do it is beyond me. They muttered something about a very fast mesh network inside the computer.) and then send out the encoded videos out through a Gigabit Ethernet connection.

Just search for "AMD Britney" and you'll find your answers. I'm still not completely clear on what it was about, whether this person (no need to give names since this person was banned) actually invented an AMD Britney CPU in his mind, or was calling an Opteron a Britney for whatever reason.
My conclusion was that he was a deranged Britney Spears fan, and I'll leave it at that.

Britney Spears fan
I know about the cooling fans in small Britney servers. Very powerful and very dangerous unless there is a finger guard. I think that they're just some high power Deltas, but I couldn't find them for sale separately.
But yes, I want some for the Athlon 64 Linux workstation that I'm going to build. Then again, I don't think I will want my PC to sound like a Concorde at takeoff, and I don't want paperwork scattered in my computer room.

I remember that Britney nut. Makes sense he was banned. That dude was a kook.

Back