• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is holding me back

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joelkyr

Here I am again...im still at it, ived been trying to go past 4GHz, ived been succesfull getting to 4GHz but not stable. My first CPU was P4 3.4C, but would not go higher than 3.9ghz so i decided to get a pressy(3.2ghz) but still no luck with it and again replace it with a 3.4ghz pressy....but damn still wont work, so maybe i thought it could be my RAM, so i got myself a new RAM(TWINX1024-4400C25 CORSAIR) but still it just wont go beyond 4ghz without shutting down, whats wrong? ived tried diff. vcore setting, etc. and nothing works. Give me some help here guys, this is just way over my head. :bang head

does your bios have a memory divider?

is the chip unlock downward? if so then lower the multi a few and deterime the max fsb of your ram/timings and then get new ram if that is really holding you back.

el said:
does your bios have a memory divider?

yes, it does, auto/400/322/266

el said:
is the chip unlock downward? if so then lower the multi a few and deterime the max fsb of your ram/timings and then get new ram if that is really holding you back.

multi settings are 14/17, in bios its 14 for enabled and 17 if disabled. I tried to enable it to 14 and OC by 30% which is the highest option, it didnt even reach 3.4ghz which is the default CPU speed. RAM timings are set to 2.5-4-4-8(default)Im just trying to let the CPU catch up on the RAM which is DDR550 so i guess the RAM is ok if i leave it to its default setting and besides this is a new RAM.

joelkyr said:
Here I am again...im still at it, ived been trying to go past 4GHz, ived been succesfull getting to 4GHz but not stable. My first CPU was P4 3.4C, but would not go higher than 3.9ghz so i decided to get a pressy(3.2ghz) but still no luck with it and again replace it with a 3.4ghz pressy....but damn still wont work, so maybe i thought it could be my RAM, so i got myself a new RAM(TWINX1024-4400C25 CORSAIR) but still it just wont go beyond 4ghz without shutting down, whats wrong? ived tried diff. vcore setting, etc. and nothing works. Give me some help here guys, this is just way over my head. :bang head

All that new ram and multiple cpus... tis time to look at the board and power supply

i havent really check how hot it is, but i think it doesnt get that hot coz i have 5 intake, but in case it is hot what would be best way to cool this?

If you have a D0 stepping, then maybe that's all the CPU has in it. I wasn't able to run 4+ gig stable until I got an E0 stepping. Use CPU-Z to see what stepping you have. You might get more response in the Intel CPU section.

batboy said:
If you have a D0 stepping, then maybe that's all the CPU has in it. I wasn't able to run 4+ gig stable until I got an E0 stepping. Use CPU-Z to see what stepping you have. You might get more response in the Intel CPU section.

Yes 100% agree it could be all to do with the stepping EO works alot better then DO when overclocking!

Back