• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reversing an IDE cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

does it work?

as in hooking the master to the mobo, the blue end to the master and so on?

i ask because of this crazy IDE placement in my mac...its so screwy..the only way to play a hard drive in the hard drive cage is either get a custom cable or use one backwards..just trying to save my self some time (and data)

thanks in advance.

Unlike the Floppys cable where a portion is cut out and flipped over, the IDE cable is the same pin for pin. I have on occasion with my old PizzaBox computers had to put the cables in that way with no problems. just make sure that all the Pin and sockets are in the same place (some are not keyed) and properly lined up, just like you normally do.

and here is a pic of a cable to prove it:
cable.jpg

all the Keys, and Pin 1 stripes are in the same location as well as the keys :cool:

Last edited:
You lose two things at a minimum. Higher UDMA modes and the ability to use cable select. The ground plane for the other 40 conductors is in the plug attached to the planar. This will report the drives as ATA33 and not allow faster modes. The CSEL issue is due to the small cut in one of the conductors between the two HDD connectors. You can try setting the jumpers, but I've never tried reversed orientation.

duur CSEL wont work, CABLE SELECT...yea and im totally defeating the cable.

I got th CDROM to work set as master...lets see if i can get that second drive.....haa crap no i cant

well this wasa nice waste of an hour lol.

well, it doesnt work. My second drive is just losely laying on top my CDROM. NOT GOOD. So i guess ill either A. buy a cable or B. make a cage of some sort...hmm...me ponders

Back