• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps okay on a 630 china/xp120?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jod

Hello and thanks aforehand!

I've recently switched from a 7700-cu to the much lighter xp120. I'm using a low cfm fan, but do these temps seem right for these settings?

bios settings are:
cpu ~ 3750, 1.3875v (default)
FSB ~ 250, 1.55v (default)
Ram ~ 1:1, no gat, 2.5-3-3-7, 2.70 (+.10 default)

fans ~ 2 in low, 2 out high, 1 blowhole out on top, cpu fan is yane loom? low cfm
room ambient ~ 23ish
cpu load~ 60 (prime and hdr test)

If I raise the voltage a few notches and test at 4.2+ the temps go up to almost 69. What I'm wondering is if I got the contact wrong again or if the fan can truly make a 10c difference. The other consideration has to do with the ihs on the p4. Sen mentioned sanding it down...

Thanks!

8658015.jpg

those tmps seem like they might be a little high for that hsf. ive honestly never run a 6xx series cpu above freezing so i cant say for sure maybe someone with a similar setup could chime in with their results. with that ambient temp and voltage i cant help but think thats a bit high though.

it depends. Have you tried reversing the fan on the XP-120 so it is drawing air away?

Those temps do seem rather high though. I'd bet that something is not making complete contact. Have you reinstalled the heatsink?

Thanks for replying so quickly guys. Well, it happened again...spotty contact at best using the as5 approved method. So I tried to spread it out evenly like this...

IMG_1060-1.jpg

and it did this to the heatsink...

IMG_1065-1.jpg

At least it's not spotty...it's not even there!! I've switched the heatsink out with the intel one and the same thing happens...spotty contact using the as5 method and no contact using the spread/baggie method.

Is this mobo's socket recessed? Is the ihs on the intel that bad?

So for the hell of it, I used another method of applying the as5. Let's call it the "splatter" method. I didn't take a pic this time because I was too frustrated, but here's what I did.

1. put on twice as much...maybe more than normal.
2. spread it out lightly
3. pressed and released my finger in a baggie

This created a thicker layer with a "spikey" top layer of as5.

Believe it or not...here's the results...

4500.jpg

It's gettin more voltage and more speed, but the idle is still 42. I've run super pi's 1m on it for around 30 seconds and that brings it up to 49 so far. I'll start doin' some prime action in a bit...right now this is just fun!

Last edited:
now theres some results i always like to hear about. keep up the great work :thup:

youll probably have to back it down a bit from where your at there in the ss to get it fully stable but its still a great oc and it looks like the temps are starting to look a little more in order and with more voltage/speed to boot.

hawtrawkr,

Thanks, and you're right, heheh. I've taken the voltage all the way down and set the cpu @ 3900 to compare with previous temps. I'm happy to say that it's idling at 34 instead of 42 now. I'm still confused as to what's up with my board/hsf/ihs. Next time I take it apart, I'll check the tops of the ihs/hsf with a level (thanks zig).

joot,

Nope, I've never done any vmods due to a very shaky hand and inexperience with the soldering gun. Tho, I'll be spending some time with my bro in the next couple months and he's got no problem holding one steady.

I had the same occurance with my 650, the heatsink only making contact towards the outside of the CPU.. I found that when I put a dab of AS5 in the center of the CPU(verses covering entire surface), my XP-90 made excellent contact with the inner part of the CPU(where most of the heat is). Dropped temps quite a bit. Still I was not satisifed because HS and CPU were not making proper contact, the CPU heatspreader was concave so I lapped it and made it perfectly flat. Now it's making excellent contact, in total I've seen about a 10c drop in temps.

Gotcha. Thanks a lot Ranger. That's exactly what I was thinkin. Here's where I'm at now:

cpu 3900 1.3875v
ram 1:1 3-4-4-8 2.80v
nb 260 1.6v

room temperature in apt 22c
idle 40
load 55

Those are new temps inside the case. I'm using an Antec TP 550 and have connected the 5 case fans to the "fan only" connectors. They push virtually no air this way, but are sooo much quieter than when on full. It's a tough price to pay to have silence...with air that is :shrug:

Edit: are the stickies loaded with the best way to lap a p4 ihs? or what is the best guide you all have seen for a nooblet :p

Jod said:
hawtrawkr,

Thanks, and you're right, heheh. I've taken the voltage all the way down and set the cpu @ 3900 to compare with previous temps. I'm happy to say that it's idling at 34 instead of 42 now. I'm still confused as to what's up with my board/hsf/ihs. Next time I take it apart, I'll check the tops of the ihs/hsf with a level (thanks zig).

joot,

Nope, I've never done any vmods due to a very shaky hand and inexperience with the soldering gun. Tho, I'll be spending some time with my bro in the next couple months and he's got no problem holding one steady.

wow
JOD,
So you spread out AS5 for the CPU and create that thickness layer for the HSF and then mount it right ?? I want to try your method, I am using the dot method, same CPU as yours, same ilde time 42-44c
Please tell me the details how would you really done to make it idle @34 exactly
Thanks a bunch. I will try mine out.

Well it idles at 36 or so with the door off. I may idle around 38 or so if the fans were on full speed, but then my head would explode. I'm going to try and smooth out the ihs as soon as I've read enough about it and feel comfortable. Even now, the AS5 isn't making the contact I want it too.

Looks like you guys definitely have some surface mating probs.

That sucks. Especially Ranger's concave IHS. That's Intel, not a 3rd party product, like a HSF assy.

FWIW -

I've used AS5 since it first came out, and on properly mated surfaces the "rice grain dollop" method does indeed work slightly better than the "layering" method. Not a huge difference; Maybe 2 or 3 *C. Also, after removing the HS, the used AS5 imprint on the IHS will look exactly like the pictures on the AS site (a quarter sized circle in the center of the IHS). That's been my experiences.

Guess the only solution for surface mating probs is to lap (or RMA).

GL

Strat

Stratcat said:
Looks like you guys definitely have some surface mating probs.

That sucks. Especially Ranger's concave IHS. That's Intel, not a 3rd party product, like a HSF assy.

FWIW -

I've used AS5 since it first came out, and on properly mated surfaces the "rice grain dollop" method does indeed work slightly better than the "layering" method. Not a huge difference; Maybe 2 or 3 *C. Also, after removing the HS, the used AS5 imprint on the IHS will look exactly like the pictures on the AS site (a quarter sized circle in the center of the IHS). That's been my experiences.

Guess the only solution for surface mating probs is to lap (or RMA).

GL

Strat

Strat you hit it right on the dot, I use the method of putting a dab in the center of the cpu and I also get about a quarter size circle in the center of the IHS.

As far as how I lapped my IHS, the IHS was slightly concave so the way I lapped it(circular motion keeping IHS flat byt applying even pressure, switching directions every 10 rotations) using 1000grit wet paper, sanded down approx. the outer 1cm perimeter of the IHS untill the copper was showing--this evened out the surface of the IHS by grinding down the(raised) outer perimeter.

www.easypckits.com has an excellent lapping kit

Back