• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory price has gone down in 1 month..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flapperhead

while i was busy trying to figure out how to drop a detroit diesel in my pickup(gave up) i missed posting here for a month or so.. i am amazed at how low the prices have dropped on memory- even the very good stuff is much more inexpensive. i never thought i would see the day when a gig of good ocing (utt) would be selling for 105.00...

yea, compaired to last summer they plummeted. i remember that geil value with the blue spreaders was 80 bucks for a 512mb. now its like 50 bucks. prices are gonna rise in summer again i hear. so if your getting memory, get it now.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
yea, compaired to last summer they plummeted. i remember that geil value with the blue spreaders was 80 bucks for a 512mb. now its like 50 bucks. prices are gonna rise in summer again i hear. so if your getting memory, get it now.
Any reason for the summer price hike?

The chips on our DDRs are a commodity and sold by the container. IMO, more than likely with the release of DDR2 everybody started selling off the chips for DDR1. This dump caused an excess which causes the prices to plummet. One most of the stock is sold off, then the prices rise again. From what I've gathered DDR2 is BGA chips like what you see on the high end video cards now.
The question remains, what will happen to the market of OCing memory for DDR1 class
dimms?

I scarfed up on OCZs before the market changed, in case it rose.

Not a ram master, but hopefully an improving student...the thread starter being one of my primary tutors.

Welcome back, flapper.

With respect to price increases...the following is a partial quote of text from the May Memory Market Overview at XbitLabs.com, with the link to the article following. It is one of several that I've read that give reasons why they feel the prices will be going up (sorry, but it is the only one that I could quickly find). It goes back to what was already posted above...supply and demand. It would be nice though if they stayed this low. Its kind of crazy when we were paying more for ram in some cases than we were for our cpu/mobo combos.

Quote from XbitLabs.com:
"As a result, it looks like the prices will hardly fall really far below this point, but as for the growth, it is not just possible: it is inevitable. Back-to-school season is approaching and this year I assume it will play its role in the market situation, so that the prices will finally grow up in Q3. So, this seems to be the best time to upgrade your system memory if you need to." (End of quote)

Source:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/mem-may2005.html

Last edited:
Very good information friend Reefa :attn: .

Apparently I made well when receiving its advice to buy my OCZ rev2 to 190 U$ :clap: .

Thank you very much :D

Last edited:
I am impressed with the lower costs too. I am really interested in this new gigaram stuff. It looks promising and is really cheap!

Here is another one of those "increasing memory prices" stories that I ran across...Quote from article:

"The sources indicated supply of DRAM will start to lag demand next quarter and widen in the fourth quarter. In addition to seasonal effects affecting demand, DRAM supply will be affected by makers experiencing lower yields as they transition from DDR to DDR2 production. Makers are also considering allocating more capacity to production of more profitable products, such as NAND flash or CMOS image sensors, which will further limit supply, the sources said.

As a result, prices for DDR and DDR2 chips are expected to rise in the second half of this year, the sources added.

Taiwan DRAM makers agree with the forecast, as OEMs often place more orders with DRAM makers in the second half of a year and the strong demand should last until the Christmas season, the makers said."
End of quote.

Source:
http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/MailHome.asp?datePublish=2005/5/23&pages=A2&seq=6

Back