• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

urgent help...please tell me it's just my psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

today i was cleaning my computer. when i put it back together and turned it on my screen told me the video card (9800 pro) wasn't hooked up to a power connector. since i was certain that it was, i immediately unplugged the computer. when i took it down i saw that the five volt wire in the molex plug was burnt. this happened once before, but it was on an extension cord that came with the video card, and i assumed it was because i had a faulty fan hooked up to that same line. this time however, it was hooked up to a line directly from the power supply. i tested the power supply with a volt meter (without hooking it up to the rest of the computer) and the 5v line rated at 5.2, even on the burnt plug. i tried to start up the computer again, this time hooking the card up to a different plug on the same line. this time it showed a picture, but when it started booting windows the screen suddenly went blank. then there were horizontal zebra stripes across the screen. i didn't want to wait until something else happened, so i quickly shut off the machine. right now i'm running my computer on a backup power supply that i had lying around. i only have my primary master and my video card hooked up. everything seems to be working fine now.

so what's the verdict? do i need to replace the power supply? can it be fixed? or does the problem lie with my card?

that's how my ATI 9800 Pro was killed. Now i am using a medion. My guess is something shorted out your card.

my card seems to be working fine right now. i just want to know if it will stay that way.

ya, well, if it works today, it should work anyday. Try artifact scanning: if it performs like it used to, then it should be genuinely fine.

i was just able to run 3dmark03 and didn't get a single visible artifact. in fact it gave me a couple hundred more points than i remember getting last time.

sounds like ur past psu was a pos, time to get a replacement: fortron, antec, pc power and cooling. Enjoy.

Edit for your avatar: I wish I could hug my computer, he's just too damn big! nice avatar man\babe.

rofl...at first i didn't notice the slash in man/babe

yeah, i wanted to replace the psu anyway, i just didn't want to be forced into it.

that's my gf by the way

Back