• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which moniter to choose...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Counda

I'll be buying an LCD shortly, preferably a 19" with a fast response time for under $500 Canadian. I'm new in the moniter purchasing thing, and would like some opinions on the best moniter to buy. Here's a few I've picked:

http://canadacomputers.com/cc/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=006660&cid=MT.899

http://canadacomputers.com/cc/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=006765&cid=MT.899

http://canadacomputers.com/cc/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=006571&cid=MT.899

This will be used mostly for school work, gaming, web browsing etc. If Anybody could help me pick a good moniter it would be much appreciated.

The Benq looks to have a better spec than the LG. Although both have a 12ms response time, 500:1 contrast ratio and a max res of 1280x1024, the Benq has the option of DVI input (ie better quality connection from PC to monitor). Do you have a DVI output on your video card?

The Samsung has a lower response time at 8ms and a better contrast ratio at 700:1 but doesnt have DVI input.

So i would say if you want DVI the Benq looks best, if not I would get the Samsung. We have Samsung LCD TVs at work and they look very nice indeed.

Well, I plan on getting a new system shortly (~June 15th), and I'll more than likely go with a cheap 6600GT until the G70/R520's come out. So yes, I will more than likely be using DVI :)

The only resolution I would use is 1280x1024, so all the moniters I picked are well suited for that :)

A few more questions:

Is DVI a sort of, "must have" for high quality displays, and would it be worth getting a non-DVI moniter with a higher contrast ratio?

Thanks for the fast reply David (My name's David too :cool: )

Last edited:
I just recently went through a similar task of picking out a new monitor. Here are a few features/specs that I found useful in helping me choose.

DVI input or not? My last monitor was a Samsung 710N (17") which only has analog input and it's been great, I love it (my g/f will gets it when my new one arrives). But, with my new one I wanted to have DVI. For some people it's not a big deal to run analog, but with the new higher end vid cards (including the 6600GT), you start with a digital signal, convert to analog, send the signal to the monitor, then the LCD panel converts it back to a digital signal. With DVI, the 6600GT just send the digital signal straight to the panel with no converting. Typically, you'll get a cleaner signal with DVI. Depends on how picky you are and whether your budget can handle it.

What response time? If you are a hardcore gamer, then you'll want fast response time. My current 710 has 12ms and I have seen no ghosting or blurring with games. I would not go slower though if you are a gamer. So, pick one with 8ms or 12ms.

6-bit or 8-bit? The faster 8ms response time panels will be 6-bit. If you watch a lot of movies or use cad programs or photoshop a lot, you might want 8-bit. It's not a big difference, but if you are picky, it might matter. If it says 16.7 million colors, then it's a true 8-bit. If it claims 16.2 million, then it's 6-bit with dithering.

Ok, back to your choices. It's had to beat the Samsung LCD flat panels. If you like the 915N, but want DVI and 8ms response time, then look at the Samsung 930B or Hyundai L90D+ (which uses the same Samsung panel).

Lots of good LCD monitors and lots of not so good ones too. Do some research to find which one is right for you. I ended up getting a great deal on Dell 2005fpw 20" wide screen. Dell also makes a good 19" too, but I forget the model number. Good luck.

Thanks for the help batboy, that cleared up a lot of things for me :)

My local Futureshop and Staples have the 930B for $569 CAD ($450 USD) plus tax, so $654.35 CAD. I've read a few reviews about the 930B, and they all had positive comments about it. Hopefuly by time I have my new system, the price will have dropped ~$30 more. If both stores are still selling it, then I can go back and forth between the two and see who will give me a better price, since their across the street from each other :). I'll probobly end up paying about $600 CAD.

Thanks to both of you, your help is very much appreciated :)

Back