• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time Linux, Knoppix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

I just installed Knoppix and I'm having truble understanding the users config.
I'm trying to install Nforce drivers and such and what ever but when I try to do it from the shell I get "premission denied".
What am I soposed to do?

Linux is a true multiuser system. You have to become root, usually done by calling "su" and entering the root password if you want to do admin stuff. Knoppix might have no root password set by default, then you can just press enter at that prompt. If there is no rootpassword set, I'd strongly advise you to rectify that ASAP. "passwd root"

root is the Administrator account, otherwise known as the superuser. root can access any files and commands on the system and make system changes.

Only use root for system tasks like installing drivers and setting up your system or making changes to the system that a normal user cannot. It is not safe to use root on a day to day basis as you can break stuff very easily

Ok it worked but now I get "You are running X server"...
And how do I install tar.gz files? Or do they have to be unpacked first?
Is there anywhere that explains all of this?

You shouldn't install tar.gz files if you can help it. Your Knoppix has a package management in the form of aptget, dpkg and .deb files. First you should look if what you want is available from there before you install tar.gz files. This goes especially for people new to Linux.

To install the nvidia driver you most probably have to shut down the X server first.

klingens said:
You shouldn't install tar.gz files if you can help it. Your Knoppix has a package management in the form of aptget, dpkg and .deb files. First you should look if what you want is available from there before you install tar.gz files. This goes especially for people new to Linux.

To install the nvidia driver you most probably have to shut down the X server first.
How do I shut down the X server?
And the tar.gz file is Thnderbird and FireFox

Grr.....too newb
Nothing works and its not a syntex error.
I'll get back at it tomorrow.

When I finally get to start the Nvidia install it says no supported Karnel found and exits after that.
And the firefox and thunderbird will not install at all, no install files and ./configure doesn't work

Flip-Mode said:
Grr.....too newb
Nothing works and its not a syntex error.
I'll get back at it tomorrow.

When I finally get to start the Nvidia install it says no supported Karnel found and exits after that.
And the firefox and thunderbird will not install at all, no install files and ./configure doesn't work

Do not do that. Use aptget to install firefox and thunderbird and whatever else you want to install. Only do it the manual way when what you want is not available thru apt. There is even a graphical front end for Apt called synaptic.

ex.

apt-get update

is how you update the listing of programsaptget can install for you.

apt-cache search <name of program>

That is how you search for a package

apt-get install <package name>

that is how to install a program

http://www.spack.org/wiki/UsingApt

The Nvidia drivers are not tar.gz, they are pkg1.run files and should be installed with sh command but after the install begins it says my Karnel is a wrong version.
I will try the apt commands later when I boot into Linux again but I don't want to do it before I know how to install the Nvidia drivers.

it is documented well on the nvidia site...you should definately check that out. By the way i haven't had much luck with nvidia drivers so far...but i have only tried with arch...good luck

I got the nVidia nForce drivers and the Video drivers installed on my Yoper setup. nVidia nForce audio drivers keep locking up my comp though whenever I try to access a sound device now....

I don't need the nforce drivers just the Video card ones, I need to set my refresh rate to 85Hz and the highest it will let me without drivers is 80Hz and It actually hurt my eyes.
Also I can see the corners of the screen flickering when not set to 85Hz.

I think they have those on their site as well....though I'm not sure how to do that in knoppix...i would just pay a visit to nvidia.com, and see what you can find.

Back