• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking bfg geforce 6800 oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabe3

I have a regular bfg geforce 6800 oc that has pipelines and vertex all unlocked, Iam ready to overclock it, I'll be using coolbits2 and my question is what should I start out for the speeds. I want to start out at something a little lower then the average overclock for my card, please let me know thanks.

Glad to see that the bios i sent you helped. Sadly to say that most unlock 6800's won't oc w/ coolbits. They always fail the test. Only way arount this is to use rivatuner and disable the core and mem test. Yet i seen that you said that rivatuner won't work on the 64bit windows.

So the only way i can tell is to raise the freq. is from the bios.

To help w/ a guess on your oc. I run 400/800 daily and I have reached 425/880 stable benching. There is more in it but I think my 2500+ is bottlenecking my card so...:bang head

Make sure that you have a dedicated line from you psu for the best results.

Gabe3 said:
what test do they fail?

There is a test right after you up the mhz. It is a test to make sure that it will work at those new mhz.

The problem is most 6800(nu) won't pass this w/ the extra pipes and shaders unlocked. But who knows yours might work. Just try it.

Mine works when it tests... but it can be very flaky about it. Don't use Coolbits if you have another option, but if not give Coolbits a run.

your right the test fails at anything, I guss Iam pritty much screwed for ocing

Last edited:
Gabe3 said:
your right the test fails at anything, I guss Iam pritty much screwed for ocing

Guess if you are brave and have a spare pci vid card you can oc w/ the vid bios.

Just get NiBiTor which will let you change the mhz in the bios. If you need help you can pm me. Since we have the same card I might be able to help.

Oh ya if you decide to change edit you bios remember to do in in small increments like 5mhz.

Good luck! :cool:

have you heard of rthdribl? its a stress tester, I've been using it

Yup thats the one...I've been using that to test for stability, then later in the day when I have the time I play a game

since Iam using powerstrip to overclock, it seems my overclocked speeds only apply if powerstrip is running, it runs in my system tray, I dont remember rivatuner having to run to overlock the card, or maybe it had a process, looks like powerstrip does have to run in the tray to overclock the card

also, seems to be as high as I can get is 370/900 stable
01- 22,970
03- 10,875
05- 3,970

btw do you know about voltmodding using the bios? my card gets as high as like 57c understress/benchmark testing, kinda wondered about raising the volts but I dunno, just kinda something to think about

Last edited:
Back