• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whoops.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

I went against everything I know, and bought everything that I hate.

Just wanted to see if it would live up to be as bad as I expected.

Its not as bad as I thought, but deffiantly not as good as everyone makes it out to be. My P4 drags this thing in circles in desktop applications, and the 6800U/P4 combo are faster in 03 GT1 which is supose to be greatly affected by CPU power. The a64 is better with WinRar, and a tad quicker in SuperPi than my 640, but the 660 just smokes it.

Its a good set up, but I would never trade in the P4 for one of these. Im sure that anyone else with a P4 and a a64 will understand where I am comming from. Those that haven't used a P4 don't understand what Im talking about, so don't pretend.

dfi.jpg.jpg

dfi2.jpg.jpg

cpuz3ghz%20copy.jpg

memDFI.jpg

Nothing fancy. 3500+ Ultra D, OCZ VX 4000, x800xl (6800Gt kills this card), OCZ 520w PSU.

Video Card is pelt cooled, vGPU 1.75v, all the speed goodies done to it, and it falls flat on its face.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3991998

For anyone that says a 6800GT is faster, they are wrong. My clocked GT, on regular water with 1.4v walked all over this vGPU pelt cooled, suposed GT killer. Fun card to play with, good for the money, but not a GT killer by any stretch of the imagination.

Anything else you guys want to see?

Oh, the one thing that I can say is that the IHS on my CPU sucked. I had idle temps around 33c at first, then it would jump to 52c under load and the max stable clock was 2800mhz on 1.5v. I popped the top off, and now she is naked running 27c idle, 42c load 1.63v which is much much better.

Oh, and for everyone looking at a water block, and want to run either a DTR or naked chip, my 6002-775 with the stepped base clears the ZIF socket fine. No need to grind it down, no reason to try and buy a flat base 6000/6002.

man i never thought id see the day. i saw the whoops title and fishy as thread starter last thing i thought id see was a ultra-d laying on a table looking nice and ghetto testbench stye!

hope your ultra-d does better than mine the one i got crapped out after a weekend of minimal benching but great gaming :shrug: (thing was a picky sob to boot) had to use the right dimms and not have anyting plugged into the front port usb connections like my vapochill ls :bang head damn thing would just boot to the splash screen and sit there thank god for the xtremesystems ultra/sli-d bugs and fixes thread though.

HEHEHEHE... the fish has spoken.... LMAO

Glad I didnt go to the extreme you did pms. I know better!!!! My a64 will be thrown in the floor when the next p4 is built for real world putering needs.

And AMD blew it on the IHS on my 2800.

9mmCensor said:
Nice riggage. Aren't you supposed to plug a molex connector to the mobo?

I don't know.

I figured a 24 pin and 4 pin was enough.

MB didn't come with a maual.

PCGUY112887 said:
I think your A64 just knows your an Intel person therefor some of it's transistors have gone on strike ;)

That or his Intel knows he should really be an AMD guy, and pushes to keep him tied down.

Break the Chains!

hawtrawkr said:
man i never thought id see the day. i saw the whoops title and fishy as thread starter last thing i thought id see was a ultra-d laying on a table looking nice and ghetto testbench stye!

hope your ultra-d does better than mine the one i got crapped out after a weekend of minimal benching but great gaming :shrug: (thing was a picky sob to boot) had to use the right dimms and not have anyting plugged into the front port usb connections like my vapochill ls :bang head damn thing would just boot to the splash screen and sit there thank god for the xtremesystems ultra/sli-d bugs and fixes thread though.

I never thought the day would come either.

I had the chance to pick up what seemed to be a good combo. Turns out to be better than expected. Like I said, its still not what everyone makes it out to be.

I wish I had a PCI-e P4 MB, than I could should you what a P4 can really do to an a64 with identical video cards.

You should have seen the desk before. I need more space too. I have a few more phase change projects in the works. Lets just say, that anything that gets warm, is going to get frozen.

Deffintaly going to be running 2, possibly 3 phase change set-ups on the next project. One can only guess at what thats going to be. Ill give you a hint, its not going to have 2 VCs.

{PMS}fishy said:
I don't know.

I figured a 24 pin and 4 pin was enough.

MB didn't come with a maual.

wtf the 10 pages of fury it came with didnt explain enough for you!!!
lol this board needs a 100 page manual for all the settings and jumpers and whatnot instead it sends you a "quick setup guide" if you can even really call it that.

there are a couple links in the xs thread about this board that have a more in depth manual i had to consult a time or two.

seriously though fishy isnt the blaring yellow sata cables enough to make you forget about a silly manual? :rolleyes:

what im getting a kick out of is the x800xl though.

{PMS}fishy said:
Deffintaly going to be running 2, possibly 3 phase change set-ups on the next project. One can only guess at what thats going to be. Ill give you a hint, its not going to have 2 VCs.

bah and i live in the crappy midwest i have sucka on the west coast and fishy on the east and i live in the middle of corn fields :bang head

someday i may live close to an avid overclocker but thats probably just wishful thinking

I totaly understand what you mean but the 660 is over 400$!
You can get almost the same performance for alot less by getting an AMD.
Nice compare there though, so I guess these babies are going on sale now?

Interesting post PMS

Could you tell the difference w/wo hyperthreading? What I am trying to ask is it really noticeable and make a difference or is it just hype?

Thanks

Gautam said:
Why don't you run 3DMark01.

well somebody had to say it.

if i had to guess id think that the amd/x800xl system would win out here as ati cards tend to do better with 01 than nvidias current offerings. and the lower latencies on the cache for the venice will surely shine here compared to the lax 6xx series. of course we could be in for a suprise but @ 2.9ghz venice should be right there if not above a 4.2 640. the memory diffrences would probably be the real killer here though. i know my old 660 could hang and even beat with the fx-55 simply because the fx-55 was @ 3.2ghz 2-3-2-6 250mhz while the 660 was @ 5.2ghz 3-2-2-8 291mhz 3-2-2-8. this was with the same video card and clocks on it. the diffrences in the systems were the motherboard/memory/cpu everything else was the same both on fresh OS installs and identical pagefile/OS tweaks. i dont doubt the fx-55 wouldnt do better with some faster memory that i could drop the ratio down and up the fsb but im sure the 660 could score alot higher in a hybrid system with something better than cl3 as well.

one way or another we need to see fishy results before this stuff hits the classifieds :santa:

Clerisy said:
Aye, the 660 is what? $600? Against a $272 Venice. Jeez man...

i think for his comparisons he used the venice vs his 640 which is right around 272$ itself. not 100% about this though im sure fishy can shed some light on it.

Back