• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU will be faster/Quicker?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

honhon

hey all, ive pretty much decided on my new system. and i just wanted to check on one thing. the CPU. i was looking at getting the AMD Athlon XP-M 2600 @ 2.0ghz with 266mhz FSB, but also i have been looking at the AMD athlon 3000 @ 2.1ghz with 400mhz FSB, both are barton cores, ive heard the mobiles are more easily overclockable, but im not gonna seriously overclock either of the chips, but at stock levels, which would be quicker? and also if i did over clock, like a mild overclock, nothing really extreme maybe like 2.2 or 2.3 or at most 2.4, could the mobile beat out the regular athlon? or will the FSB hold it back? ive also heard that the Athlon XP-M flies if you raise either the FSB or the multiplier, cant remember which, but im wondering if anyone had experience with the XP-M to where it can beat the regular 400mhz FSB athlon?

I also read some review, i think on newegg where the person got their Athlon XP or XP-M (cant remember which) to benchmark at A64 marks?!?

thanks all!

In terms of overclockability, the mobile 2600 will best the 3000 by miles. The XP-M should easily net you 2.4 GHz without a sweat.

JerMe said:
In terms of overclockability, the mobile 2600 will best the 3000 by miles. The XP-M should easily net you 2.4 GHz without a sweat.

One thing also though. if the Athlon XP w/ stock FSB @ 400mhz beat the Athlon XP-M w/ 266mhz FSB Stock? or wouldnt that matter once i overclock?

:EDIT: for more info, they would both be overclocked to 2.4ghz, so then it would come down to individuality.

You also need to keep in mind that the mobiles run on lower voltages so your need for ultra loud fans will be eliminated (to a point). You should have no problems running the 2600 on a FSB of 400 or higher. Clock for clock/volt for volt, the mobiles will smoke the desktops.
*edit* And with the mobiles, you won't have to fool with the tedious task of unlocking the multipliers.
-Fb

FalconBlade said:
You also need to keep in mind that the mobiles run on lower voltages so your need for ultra loud fans will be eliminated (to a point). You should have no problems running the 2600 on a FSB of 400 or higher. Clock for clock/volt for volt, the mobiles will smoke the desktops.
*edit* And with the mobiles, you won't have to fool with the tedious task of unlocking the multipliers.
-Fb

thanks for the info about the multipliers, ill probably stick with the XP-M, i am planning on getting the Kingwin Kt-424 for my case, i had it once before and i loved its layout and its removable mobo tray, makes for better of hiding wires, but why i am mentioning this is b/c i plan on ordering all my stuff this wednesday and next tuesday ordering my video card and memory, so if i get my stuff by like friday this week, including my case, i can tare it down and cut and stuff one of my 120mm deltas in the front of it, and just leave it under-volted and that'll probably move MORE than enough air, sinse you were mentioning the temps.

Back