• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd guy seeking Intel help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

So I am building my first intel rig soon, (hooray), and I need to know what is the difference between Socket 478 and LGA775? The 2.8E Prescott and the Pentium 4 520 Prescott appear to be the same thing. Both running 2.8, ht support, and 800 fsb. But the Socket 478 is 20 dollars less. So am I missing something that one has that the other doesn't? This rig will not be overclocked, since its for a family member, so if one overclocks better then the other it doesn't matter. Thanks for the help. :cool:

skt 478 is the older socket and is being phased out, some motherboards with skt 478 do not support the prescott cpu which requires more power than the old northwoods. LGA775 is the new socket designed for these new highend cpu's including the new Pentium D. The offer more power and slighly better cooling accoring to intel. The down side of the skt 775 is that most motherboards based on this use DDR2 and PCI-Express requireing you to invest in all new equipment. There are a few highbriad mobos like DFI's that use the older 875 chipset with a skt 775 giving you DDR 1 and AGP support while still leting you use the 3.2+ chips.

Since this is a build for a family member i would get LGA 775 with a 5xx or 6xx series cpu some micron based DDR2 and a 6200TC pcie video card if they dont intend to game much, if they are slightly bigger gamers then 6600GT or even the X800XL if they like to game.

Well actually, noone will be gaming on this. This is for my aunt/uncle/cousins who are not into gaming what so ever, so I'm going with onboard. Actually I had this barebones system in mind. Looks like it is LGA775, DDR, and has onboard. Would this be sufficient to run a stock P4 520 Prescott? Linky for barebone box.

if they are gonna use it for internet i would get alittle more ram for them, so the computer can cache it and increase there internet speed alittle, this would be mainly for dialup, but if they have BB dont worry about that.

and from experience, the Socket478 would run alittle cooler, so if they have it in an office it wouldnt get the room as warm, but the LGA775 i.e. SOCKET T with prescott core will be able to "thump" through anything they would possibly be able to throw at it.

The 775 will run cooler, it has better power management (MOSFETS) so the mobo wont get as hot, prescotts do run hot full stop though -- look at a duct of some sort.

A certain someone's sig comes to mind here, batboy pimp that sig! :)

~t0m

you may want to rethink that power supply. 13A isn't that much. If you get a 300w sparkle (120mm fan version, 18A on the 12v), it should do fine.

Know Nuttin said:
you may want to rethink that power supply. 13A isn't that much. If you get a 300w sparkle (120mm fan version, 18A on the 12v), it should do fine.

exactly what i was thinking. my jaw dropped when i saw the amps on the 12v rail. prescotts, no matter what socket, take alot of juice. id say a psu with at least 20/21 amps on the 12v rail should be decent.

Know Nuttin said:

Would a normal power supply fit in this barebones case?

honhon said:
if they are gonna use it for internet i would get alittle more ram for them, so the computer can cache it and increase there internet speed alittle, this would be mainly for dialup, but if they have BB dont worry about that.

and from experience, the Socket478 would run alittle cooler, so if they have it in an office it wouldnt get the room as warm, but the LGA775 i.e. SOCKET T with prescott core will be able to "thump" through anything they would possibly be able to throw at it.

Using 2x512 Kingmax Valueram @ 2.5T

the one thing i saw about that bare bones that put me off right away was three simple letters....

S. I. S.

i would REALLY urge you to look for something with a intel chipset. either a 865 or 875 hybrid board. going to a sis, they would be missing out on the ONE MAJOR benifit of a intel system, especially benificial to someone who knows nothing about computers, and that is the stability and reliability of a intel chipset.

I have a 2.8E sitting in my room waiting to be built, and I'm an AMD guy. I never understood what was so much better about 775 either...

well, the biggest deal is...

socket 478 boards, even beefy ones like mine (see sig) were not initially drawn up with pressies and thier power requirements in mind.

when 478 pressies first came out, people's mosfets were actually getting to be around the same temps as the cpu itself (if you can believe it). without seriously cooling the mosfets, you really run a risk of killing your mobo when using more than 1.5v i'd say. the circuitry in lga775 boards is much more able to handle the increased power. now, running up to 1.55v on air is probably pretty safe, on 478, probably not. you may hear a *POP*. that would be a mosfet biting the dust.

Oh boy... I have a 2.8E that I'm going to put together on an Abit IC7-G MaxII with a Zalman 7700cu. I have a 530 watt fortron, and a 500watt (12v@34a) Rosewill PSU waiting to be used. Would those PSUs give enough juice for the pressie OCed along with just a 9700pro? And should I worry about the MOSFETs on that board?

g0dM@n said:
Oh boy... I have a 2.8E that I'm going to put together on an Abit IC7-G MaxII with a Zalman 7700cu. I have a 530 watt fortron, and a 500watt (12v@34a) Rosewill PSU waiting to be used. Would those PSUs give enough juice for the pressie OCed along with just a 9700pro? And should I worry about the MOSFETs on that board?

You'll be fine. As mentioned, the 775 motherboards just have better power regulation, i don't really see any advantage otherwise clock for clock.

Sucka said:
You'll be fine. As mentioned, the 775 motherboards just have better power regulation, i don't really see any advantage otherwise clock for clock.

yeah, before i parted out my intel rig, i ran, 1optical drive, 1hdd, 2 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans, danger den 12v dc pump, socket 775 p4 @ 3.4 (no overclock), nvidia 6800, sound blaster audigy zs2, and it was all powered by a thermaltake 480w, no power issues what so ever, even though i was told it would die.

While a power user or overclocker would shutter at some of the components listed in that barebones, in reality it should serve auntie just fine if she's like my aunts and mainly uses it for email and solitaire. If the PSU seems wimpy, it can always be replaced later, but those LGA775 Celerons aren't that power hungry at default speeds and voltages.

Back