• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ageia in action. Physics like this in a game would be slick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i agree it sucks that we are going to have to lay down so much cash for a gaming rig, but a year down the road, this will be the only thing us pc gamers have left to keep us from buying consoles.

oh give me a ****in break. these low lifes will stop at nothing to earn a buck. seperate physics card?? what next? seperate charachter render only card? seperate AI only only card? hope no one buy this crap.

and lets be clear on this, there is nothing this PPU can do that a regular GPU or CPU cant do. It just increases performance by taking some burden of GPU/CPU.

yazz88 said:
oh give me a ****in break. these low lifes will stop at nothing to earn a buck. seperate physics card?? what next? seperate charachter render only card? seperate AI only only card? hope no one buy this crap.
people said that about GPUs.

Why doesn't a company consolidate the GPU SPU and PPU into one unit, it could be called the CPU or Central Proccessing Unit, why can't they just do that?

because then they couldn't make as much money

if you listen to the guy speaking at the beginning, they are trying to make it so that the PPU code is made in such a way that it can be made compatible with all future cards, a generic code that can allow it to work with other cards. But it apparently, I doubt it can fill an entire bandwidth of a 4x pci slot and a pci slot, but doesn't have support for the 16x slot yet. Frankly, I'm not a gamer, and wasn't too impressed with the presentation.

Last edited:
There is no point in getting this card just yet since there aren't that many games that use physics, excpt (HL2, FarCry, BF2, F.E.A.R. just of top of my head) but it will be nice upgrade down the road.

Ok when he said that these cards will also use PCI-E does that mean that will will be able to run them on the SLI boards, one vid card/first PCI-E slot with AGEIA in second PCI-E slot?
Does anyone know system spec. on the computer that they used?
How well will it work with the current video cards/6800,x800-50?

And did he say that nex-gen consoles will also use them or not since they have so much processing power anyways.

Holy mother of god..that large scale destruction demo is absolutely AWESOME :eek:

@ theMonster: yes, everything can be done in software on the CPU, but that would probably take a 10GHZ cpu just for those calculations. This PPU is ment to take that work off of the CPU.

With the proliferation of dual core(and eventually multicore) cpus, this is pretty much a dead end. First of all, it wouldn't take a 10ghz cpu to perform as well as one of those ppu's. I'd dare say a normal 3.2ghz cpu would be comparable(assuming it was dedicated purely to physics calculations).

Once game devs start designing games to take advantage of multicore processors, then they'll probably code things so that the physics can be delegated to a single core which will be practically dedicated to that and maybe audio and other minor things.

If that happens, then the performance gains from this ppu will be almost negligable.

Prodigious said:
With the proliferation of dual core(and eventually multicore) cpus, this is pretty much a dead end. First of all, it wouldn't take a 10ghz cpu to perform as well as one of those ppu's. I'd dare say a normal 3.2ghz cpu would be comparable(assuming it was dedicated purely to physics calculations).

Once game devs start designing games to take advantage of multicore processors, then they'll probably code things so that the physics can be delegated to a single core which will be practically dedicated to that and maybe audio and other minor things.

If that happens, then the performance gains from this ppu will be almost negligable.

That's an interesting point - dual core CPUs will render this PPU idea nearly pointless.

well this PPU is acctualy specialy built for this, so thus it will be WAY more efficent.

also think about the developers? this PPU could do all the number crunching for them, so there is a huge plus right there

Back