• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon X300SE: Good enough for DVD and DIVX/XVID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jman999

Is the Radeon X300SE video card good enough to run DIVX and DVD movies? It will be paired with a Sempron 2600, and 512 MB of PC3200 RAM. Can it run HRHD XVID movies, that run at 960X528? As you can see this is going to be a low-budget system. No games, just standard apps like web-browsing and MSOffice and the occasional movie.

Thanks for your time,
-Jonathan.

you barely need any video power for anything, while you do need a little, not much

if you want to you can play HL2 on that card, not max settigns but you will be able to play with a decent FPS

just to give you an idea, built my parents computer with and older ASUS board that has onboard graphics...... they can watch DVD's on it all day if they want to. It has an old 1900+ Athlon XP processor.... all of this is below what you're suggesting. You should be fine with what you have...... still might want to pay the extra $10 for the better processor just because it's a good deal..... :p

My sisters duron 1100 with geforce 2 onboard does everything you listed just fine. x300 is indeed wicked overkill for the application. i would just go into your local computer shop and see what they got. I got a decent deal on a geforce 256 with tv box. kinda wish i had spent $20 more and got a ti4200, but that one didnt have vivo.
as long as its agp 4x your fine.

I agree with all the above. Just about any card will do video up untill you reach the HD video which needs GPU support. Supposidy the GF 6 has the Pure video which I never got to try because on the AGP 6800 series it was borked. It didnt do it very well on the x800pro that I had either although it is supposed to be fully functional on the othe GF models, even the cheap 6200.

Back