• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first clock ever (and over 4 gigs)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slotted

My first clock ever (and over 4 Mhz)

As you all know I have been working on geting my temps down b4 trying to clock, now I have done this with my xp-120 and custom modded case I went ahead to try and clock for the first time ever. You will all laugh but it was nerve racking. Anyway to my disapointment my board is not good for over clocking only allowing me to change the multiplier (no other changes are possible volts ect) so I went ahaead and cranked it up I bottled out at 235 even though my temps were still very good (I know im a chicken) I just need a bit more exsperience. Anyway here are my results and as yet no problems playing CS for a good few hours lol. I know this is only a small overclock compared to the greatness of people on here but im well pleased. Did i mess up? does everything look ok please advise. SloTTed :shrug:

Temps 35 IDLE 50 MAX LOAD
slot.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations :)

I see your load temp is 50c - that is acceptable, but I wouldn't go any higher on the clocks without lowering those temps a bit.

ty for that would you believe that b4 the XP-120 I was getting 60 on Load. I think i will take your advise and settle down to 4 mhz (max load was then 45)

Last edited:
there is nothing wrong with pressies at 50c. i'm sure even 60c is safe, you may find some stability problems, with high clocks and high temps, but that's what overclocking is all about. finding out the limits of your hardware.

if you are at 4.2ghz, and at 50c load, i'd say you are fine to try for higher. maybe 4.4 at 55c!

Ok I have moved up the mulipier up untill i got to 235 the temps were great no problems there but at 235 the system goes to load windows but ends up at the screen were it says "the system was not shut down properly and it then list a list of options safe modes boot as normal ect..." when I click boot as normal it just goes around and around in circles untill I move the mutiplier back down. I take it that this is an indication that the system is unstable (its not the temp as my temp sensor ir reaing just over 50c) because I have no other options to tweak in the Bios ie volts ect... is this all im going to get out of this board and cpu any ideas :shrug:

slotted said:
Ok I have moved up the mulipier up untill i got to 235 the temps were great no problems there but at 235 the system goes to load windows but ends up at the screen were it says "the system was not shut down properly and it then list a list of options safe modes boot as normal ect..." when I click boot as normal it just goes around and around in circles untill I move the mutiplier back down. I take it that this is an indication that the system is unstable (its not the temp as my temp sensor ir reaing just over 50c) because I have no other options to tweak in the Bios ie volts ect... is this all im going to get out of this board and cpu any ideas :shrug:

do you mean multiplier (should be 18x for your cpu) or the bus speed starts at 200 and scales up from there. i take it you meant bus speed. your problem is a common one and yes it is indicating that somewhere along the line something isnt stable/getting enough power. have you run memtest86 to see what your memory is capable of? its possible that its holding you back here just as much as your cpu might be.

im also unfamiliar with your motherboards bios does it give you an option for lockign down the pci and pcie bus to 33/100 respectively?

your motherboard could be a killer for your oc though since its based on the 915 chipset they tend to crap out early (on purpose from everything ive read since intel saw all the ocers raising the mhz so high on the 865/875)

Last edited:
sorry pics are not to good this ss shows the only place i can adjust
b2.jpg

this one shows no option to lock off pci ex ect
b3.jpg

also does anyone know what this setting does ??
b1.jpg

try setting your memory to 400 and see what that does for you. when you run it in 400 youll basicly be running @ a 1:1 ratio and youll have your memory back in spec so that might help out.

for memtest if you go here http://www.memtest86.com/#download0 and scroll down the page youll be able to see the 3.2 install options the windows and dos one you need to install to a blank floppy disk the iso you can use to burn a bootable cd with.

Although the memory is 533 I moved it down to 400 and manged to get to 4.3mhz I also found this in the bios settings it didnt apear untill I disabled the Dram timming, will this help also I cant run the memtest yet as I dont have a floppy drive (dope)

b4.jpg

slotted said:
Although the memory is 533 I moved it down to 400 and manged to get to 4.3mhz I also found this in the bios settings it didnt apear untill I disabled the Dram timming, will this help also I cant run the memtest yet as I dont have a floppy drive (dope)

do you have a cd burner? if so you can burn an iso and use a bootble cd to run memtest.

the options youve uncoverd are your memorys timings. they are hidden when you have the dram timing on because it just blindly uses the programed speeds the memory manufacturer associated with your memory. once you turn it off it lets you manually set the latencies. with regards to ddr2 ive never noticed an advantage to running the memory faster than the system bus aside from maybe saying "hey look at my fast memory" its kinda like a car just spinning its wheels in place compared to taking off and driving fast. yeah the wheels are turning really quick but you dont get alot done other than blowing smoke

there could be some advantage to running the memory faster than the system bus but in all my efforts ive yet to find the advantage. maybe someone else could chime in if they have though. its never upped my 3dmark scores for 01se 03 or 05 didnt do anything for aquamark3 didnt lower any of my superpi times and in the games ive been playing i couldnt get any change in my high/low fps so i just kinda gave up on it and been running it 1:1 :shrug:

memory limit

slotted said:

Hit the max for your memory is my guess

Back