• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad mobos or bad mem??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

.chiefs

ok so i just got a new pc, put it all together and i had a problem. the memory i put in with the mobo caused the pc to turn itself off under load. so i tried to swap memory but the pc wouldnt post. the mobo tech support said it was a bad mem controller on the mobo so i rma'd it. i finally got the replacement mobo and reinstalled everything. now i have the same problem.... pc turns itself off under load, and if i try to swap the memory it wont post. so now the mobo is fried again. so i have to rma it again.. im just wondering, would the memory ruin the mobo if the mem was bad? im going to rma the memory too now. i used the memory in my other pc and it didnt fry that mobo but it did turn off the pc once, so im thinking theres definitely something wrong with that memory.

i would go with different memory but its been over 30 days so i cant return, replace only.

should i go with a different mobo to be safe? or try the same model mobo for a 3rd time and just use different memory?

EDIT: im getting really tired of replacing and reinstalling everything and rma'ing 1/2 my parts. im never gonna get to use this new pc.

anyway, you guys wanna recommend me a new mobo and memory model/brand??? i need pci-e mobo. and prefer ddr pc3200 2x512 ram.

Last edited:
normally even bad memory shouldnt screw up ur mb..sounds to me like u may have several problems.. are u sure the other set of test memory is good?? here some things to try..
1. try testing both types of memory in a known good rig

2.if they test good then it could also be ur power supply, try testing it also

3. dont forget ur cpu especially if it overclocked, it could also be the culprit..
goodluck flapper

Back