• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

agp-x800xl vs. 6800gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blitzkrieg1110

well ive pretty much narrowed it down to an x800xl or a 6800gt. I realized that im not quite ready to throw down like 400 some dollars for a higher end card that will be greatly bottlenecked by my cpu anyways. if you had to pick (they are around the same price) between a x800xl or a leadtek 6800gt which one would you take and why? which one do you think would oc better (keeping in mind the leadteks massive copper cooler on the gt)?

EDIT: ive read a lot of these matchups on various sites and even though the cards have similar performance most of the sites say to go for the xl cause its 100 dollars cheaper RETAIL (xl-300 gt-400), not in actual prices. if they were both the same......do you think some of the sites would have changed their views?

Last edited:
at this point the two cards are priced almost identical....... both perform about the same at stock too. However the GT has a bit more overclocking potential. BTW, I wouldn't put too much stock on reviews unless it's done by my fellows here in the OCForums...... ;)

Last edited:
im in the same boat as you mate, my 9800xt just died and i need a replacment card. I still cant pick between the 6800gt or an x800xl. Im leaning towards the xl more as i play hl2 more than i would ever play doom 3.

blitzkrieg1110 said:
ok another question then, which is more power hungry/gets hotter?

This Anandtech article has a few charts showing power consumption. Anandtech does a pretty decent job with their testing, better than most IMHO.

At Idle both the X800XL puts out 110watts and the 6800GT at 123watts

At load the X800XL is listed as 199watts and the 6800GT at 210watts

Not a huge difference between the two.

i wonder how much of an increase/decrease that fan on the leadtek makes in power consumption. plus, i think i have read before that the heat is greatly reduced because of the heatsink/fan on it......wow tough decision indeed.

the xl is basically an xt with lower clock speeds and voltages and the xl's run much cooler than the xt's do. anither bonus.

i would go with the xl for a coulple of reasons. 1, it can have its voltages easily increased to that of an xt. 2, i just think that playing with an xl will be more fun that playing with a gt

well im not going to be doing any volt mods or anything, just some ocing (and probably just for benchmarks, not for everyday gaming). i want the life of the card to be as long as possible....ill prolly run this card until it can no longer play games at 1024x768 with medium-high effects. hopefully it will last awhile.

I vote xl for obvious reasons and looking in your sig you seem to think the same way I do....... I had to replace 2 leadtek cards before so I am kinda biased against them.

I would disagree about the two cards being priced almost the same. While some X800XL's are priced near 6800GT levels, there are more than a few that are 60-100 dollars cheaper. I haven't found any 6800GT's for less than $360 while I have seen X800XL's for $270. I was deciding on what card I would like recently also and thought that the X800XL would be a good balance of price/longevity.

if you look at it in a price/longevity point of view the x800xl kicks butt.....every review that I read and price that I saw makes the xl a better bang for the buck

Vance S said:
I would disagree about the two cards being priced almost the same. While some X800XL's are priced near 6800GT levels, there are more than a few that are 60-100 dollars cheaper. I haven't found any 6800GT's for less than $360 while I have seen X800XL's for $270. I was deciding on what card I would like recently also and thought that the X800XL would be a good balance of price/longevity.

you can get the leadtek 6800gt on newegg for 299......where are you getting ur information?

link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195

keep in mind, im not going pci-e.....but rather agp......prices are like within 10 dollars of each other (exactly the same if you buy the 300 dollar bbati x800xl at monarch.com)

Back