• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Approaching 1.7GHZ Wahoooo!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paul.K

Hi all,

Had the chance to build my brothers PC this weekend. I notice he had a 1.4GHz AMD with stepping AYHJA 'Y'. Since he has no interest in overclocking his CPU, we swap my AYHJA '4' for his AYHJA 'Y'. As you can imagine I was very excited to see what kind of overclock I could get from this chip, since my old chip could only reach 1.55GHz even with my Vcore mod. Now once his system was built I went on to play with this new baby chip. My first supprise was this chip ran stable at 12X by 133Mhz. My old chip couldnt. I ran the chip on this setting for one day. To make things a bit more interesting, yesterday evening I ran the chip at 146Mhz by 11.5X,but it eventually frooze my system. I then increased Vcore to 2.08 and now its running stable at 1.68GHZ. Since this chip is only 3 days old.....will burning in the CPU more allow me to reach 1.7Ghz. I have also noticed my temperature increase to 44C idle and 50C load. Are these temperatures ok....
Has anyone done any SK6 HSF mods....or give me some advice in cooling this baby....

Benchmarks to follow this evening.....

Benchmarks to follow this evening.....

Thanks guys......

Congrats on the new CPU & a really nice O/C. How about staying with the 12 multiplier & up the FSB 1MHz at a time with the corresponding voltage increase to the VCore & VIO? Just my $0.02:) There is a 60mm to 80mm fan upgrade for the SK6 but if you have the cash go for a swifty+delta 80mm

Paul.K said:
I have also noticed my temperature increase to 44C idle and 50C load. Are these temperatures ok....

That's a good OC, I'm drooling. I run my 1.2 Ghz at 1378 (145x9.5) @ 1.85 volt. My idle temp is 46C and load temp 52C. I never have any problems.

Thanks guys......

I thought the Sk6 is a good HSF combination. I am running a delta 7000rpm screamer at the moment. I was thinking of doing a case mod and placing a few 120 or 80mm fans on the side of the case blowing cold air over the CPU. Would you reckon this will lower my CPU temperature.

Also would it be better to burn in the CPU for a while and then up the settings including Vcore and Vio.....

duct a good 80mm or even a 92 mm in side of case blowing on cpu, get a good high cfm 80mm and a 60 to 80 mm adapter for the SK6 lapp it well and use AS2 and you will shave temps off, then maybe the 1.7+ is in reach. i hope you get it. Also maybe an aluminum case will do it. heck with water or a TEC 1.7is a sure thing for that chip id think

What the hell is an adapter for the SK6 and could you give me more direct instructions...like what in ducting....whats a TEC......

Thanks

I have attached an WCPUID shot of my processor at 1660Mhz. I have lowered the Vcore has my temperature is around 50C at load. I'll have to do some case mods and HSF mods before I'll increase the Vcore and reach the magical 1.7Ghz...

I have attached an WCPUID shot of my processor at 1660Mhz. I have lowered the Vcore has my temperature is around 50C at load. I'll have to do some case mods and HSF mods before I'll increase the Vcore and reach the magical 1.7Ghz...

If it passes prime95 at those speeds you have a great chip. Also the new Alpha might be worth looking at. the 0845 should lower temps a little. mod your case adn get better air flow I think that will help the most for you now.

Just after playing quake Arena for 4 hours. System completely stable at the 1660Mhz.....Wahooo.....Temp 51C load...:eek:

Another Q any 1.7Ghz aircooled AMD Athlon chips out there???!!??

seen a few about 1.65 but not any at 1.7 that is one sweet chip. give your brother a NIC or something for the sweet trade.

Paul.K said:
What the hell is an adapter for the SK6 and could you give me more direct instructions...like what in ducting....whats a TEC......

Thanks

You can go here & look around for the adapter. It's something to fit an 80mm fan on your SK6. TEC is just another name for a peltier.

I'm going to do some real modifications to my case this weekend. My power regulator chips used to supply a 3 phased power supply to the CPU are getting hot. What can you use to stick the heatsinks to these chips. Can you use some type of adhesive like superglue or something.....

I would like help in cooling this rig, any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated. It would be great to get this chip running at 1.7GHz+ air cooled.

Has I live in Ireland, must online shops dont sell their products international so peltiers are out of the question I reckon.....grrrrrrrr

Thanks for making this place worth while..

Can you apply superglue to the mosfets of an motherboard for installation of heatsinks........

Or can anyone give me another idea for attaching small aluminum heatsinks to the mosfets of the motherboard has they are getting warm from my Vcore mod.

Thanks.....

Last edited:
whatever you do dont try too hard to get 1.7 what you got is VERY RESPECTABLE. I want to see you get 1.7 but i DONT wanna see you add some stuff like fans and what not, and them disrupty an alrady good system then only get 1500 stable. I know hat you are smarted than that but i has happend before. ID go for the 60 to 80mm adapter first as that can in no way hurt anything. maybe a Better Hs all together the Alpha 8045, will do nicely. Dont cur holes just yet see if you can get more with what you alreaedy got. Then add a high flow 80mm panaflow Fan. Or a 92mm fan that also has good airflow, and have it blowing directly on the cpu, maybe 2 80mm will do a good job id think. Please keep us informed and if you need and advice just pm me on yahoo, icq or aol or email and ill help all htat i can

Jason or anyone,

By adding a duct to my system I am sure to get lower temps right, since the cold outside air will be blowing on top of my HSF unit, when compared to my HSF taking the air from within the case and blowing that on top of the CPU. Also can I glue heatsinks to my mosfets.....like superglue I need to know by tomorrow...please....

Thanks

Back